Walnut Tool Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Well, everybody else has been busy making tool storage boxes so I didn't want to be left out.

I have a friend who travels a lot and he looks for unique pieces of wood for me for my turning exploits. In the past I have made jewelry boxes for his wife and daughters but I have never made him anything but a little trinket box for his dresser. This year I decided to change that and built him this walnut tool box.

It is about 10" tall and 10" deep and 25" long. I included a little lift out tool tray and lined the bottom with brown felt. Should be good for piling a few hammers and screwdrivers in.....

Attachments

• Chestfrontpic1.JPG
    Chestfrontpic1.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 305
  • Chestopenpic.JPG
    Chestopenpic.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 293

Monty

New User
Monty
That looks great! I like the lift out/sliding tool tray. Looks like you're a good friend to have! ;-)

P

PrplHrtJarHead

Very nicely done. Sharp looking old school tool box.

[shakes head, green with envy]

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Mike,

That is gorgeous, I'm now totally ashamed of my tool bucket with bucket boss liner!

P

PrplHrtJarHead

Steve D said:
Mike,

That is gorgeous, I'm now totally ashamed of my tool bucket with bucket boss liner!

Yeah, I'm in the tool bucket club too. Dreadful. Completely embarassed.:oops:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Big Mike, you da BOX MASTER :eusa_clap :eusa_clap That is really beautiful, it will be hard for your friend to just throw a hammer and a few screwdrivers in it. The walnut you used is awesome and finished up very nice. What was your finish system? Great job!

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Big Mike,

That is a beaut :icon_thum

I don't have any tools worthy of that box :eusa_sick

Sapwood

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great job Big Mike......you did a superb job on that.:icon_thum I know I would be hard pressed to just toss some tools in something that nice.

D L

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Thank you all for the positive feedback. I really appreciate it. I was pleased with the outcome of this project.

Dave, I sand using a random orbit sander through 320 or so. That is followed by 400, 500 and 600 with a rubber sanding block sanding with the grain. All dust is carefully vacuumed and tacked off. Next I mix up BLO and varnish in equal parts and thin it with 2 parts mineral spirits. I flood this on the wood and allow it to soak in and keep it wet. As it starts to dry I wipe off the excess. I let that dry for 24 hours and take 7/0 steel wool and white 3-M pads and work the surface with the grain until it is smooth again. I repeat the steps of finish, rub down with steel wool and white pads several more times, usually 5 or 6 coats depending on how it looks. I find that I have to look in oblique light to see the areas that need to be rubbed. Finally I let it dry for days or a week or longer and rub it down vigorously with a white pad. Finally I dry buff it with the white diamond wheel since I fear getting compound in the dark wood pores. Lastly I hand wax and buff it with both my buffer and a buffing pad on the ROS.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, Mike that is why it looks so nice. I guess you didn't get it done this weekend:lol: :lol: Do you find a BLO, varnish, MS brew superior to something like Danish oil, or Waterlox? And if so, what varnish do you use?

Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, I do find the BLO/varnish mix superior to just Danish oil alone as it provides the depth of grain from the oil and affords the buildup and protection from the varnish. I learned this recipe from watching one of David Marks old shows and I have been using it for quite a while. It is essentially a wiping varnish. But I do think it does a wonderful job of presenting a protecting the wood. Of course on lighter woods it will impart a yellowish tint. I use the General Finishes varnish that they sell at Klingspor and Woodcraft. No, you are right it is not a finish if you wish to finish in a hurry.

helmswatch

New User
Duke
WOW! I REALLY want to be your friend/apprentice! I have always been intrigued with boxes. In fact, I have been known to buy items just because I liked the box it came in. I remember when I was a kid, I liked going to the optomys...optoolo.....eye doctor. His instruments and lens were in a German handmade drawer cabinet that was a pure pleasure to stare at.

My Irene suggested that we make one for our dremel tool & stuff.

Again, great craftsmanship. :eusa_clap

Duke & Irene

RandyJ

New User
Randy
What a beautiful box. Too nice to put any of my tools in! When I grow up I want to be just like you:icon_thum
Randy

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome toolbox!

This is the style of toolbox Insomniac needs to store some his Lee Valley and Clifton spokeshaves.

It definitely looks more like a large jewelery box than a "plumbers carry-all"!

I am sure that he will treasure it and will treat it like an heirloom!

Wonderful Job!!!:)

Wayne

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
That's incredible. I definitely do not own any tools worthy of such a toolbox.

I think that toolbox belongs in a display case. Absolutely beautiful and thanks for the finish tips. My gosh, no wonder the finish looks so doggone good.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Beautiful toolbox. If I look for some wood for you would you build me a box?:lol: :lol: But then I don't have any tools nice enough to go in a box like that.

T

toolferone

Mike, Another great tool box from you! Do you have any pictures of the cherry one with the mineral streaked top machinist chest you built. That box was great! Keep up the great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS