walnut slabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

price griffin

New User
slick
I just had some walnut sawed they are 12/4 boards and 12 foot long any Ideas at what there worth? I was going to use them for gun stocks but I dont need all I have. Any advice would be appreciated Thanks

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Air drying will result in really nice walnut but it's a slow process, particularly with 12/4 material. The sapwood isn't a defect but it will remain much lighter than the good stuff.

Kiln drying may result in a washed out look. That's my understanding but I don't know the specifics of the do's and dont's.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I'd hesitate to cut a 12' slab prematurely, given the many ways such pieces could be used.

Once used for intended purpose, many turners (me included) would love any off cuts or left over 3" thick walnut for turning, especially if these were wide slabs (i.e. 10-12" wide or more). Of course in that case you wouldn't have to let them dry out - as twice turning bowls is quite common. Rough turned to general shape, set aside to air dry, then re-turned to final shape.

Henry

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Depending on conditions it may take another 2 years of air drying for the 12/4 material to reach optimal moisture content. Do you have a moisture meter to check content? The rule of thumb that I remember is about a year per inch of thickness drying time. But I'm no expert so others may have better advice.

I definitely prefer air dried Walnut to the Steamed and Kiln Dried stuff. This process darkens the Sapwood at the expense of the true color in the Heartwood in my opinion. Washed out is a good description of what the Steamed wood looks like in my opinion.

- Ken.

price griffin

New User
slick
I'd hesitate to cut a 12' slab prematurely, given the many ways such pieces could be used.

Once used for intended purpose, many turners (me included) would love any off cuts or left over 3" thick walnut for turning, especially if these were wide slabs (i.e. 10-12" wide or more). Of course in that case you wouldn't have to let them dry out - as twice turning bowls is quite common. Rough turned to general shape, set aside to air dry, then re-turned to final shape.

Henry
The slabs are 10 to 16 inches wide and ive got them stacked now to air dry.. im going to pick up a moisture meter before long to check it because im curious myself at what it is now.

price griffin

New User
slick
These are a few short pieces that I cut cut with my chainsaw of the 12/4 boards thinking of a using this one for a gun stock and forearm
walnut_blocks.jpg

walnut_blocks.jpg

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Kiln drying may result in a washed out look. That's my understanding but I don't know the specifics of the do's and dont's.

Depending on conditions it may take another 2 years of air drying for the 12/4 material to reach optimal moisture content. Do you have a moisture meter to check content? The rule of thumb that I remember is about a year per inch of thickness drying time. But I'm no expert so others may have better advice.

I definitely prefer air dried Walnut to the Steamed and Kiln Dried stuff. This process darkens the Sapwood at the expense of the true color in the Heartwood in my opinion. Washed out is a good description of what the Steamed wood looks like in my opinion.

- Ken.

Actually, this is not quite correct. Walnut changes color when exposed to high temperature steam, which is the method used by a conventional kiln.

Conventional kilns are primarily used by large volume producers (1 million board feet + annual production).

The other kiln drying methods do not result in any color change. These methods include dehumidification, vacuum, and solar.

12/4 BW will air dry down to 16% MC in about 2 years in our geographic area.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Knew I could count on someone more knowledgeable like Scott to correct any errors in my limited knowledge of the facts.

Thanks - Ken.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: this is a short board only about 10 inches wide

Like I stated earlier - that's great material for gun stock, as well as for turning, as long as the ends don't check. Nice wood!

Henry

William Roscoe

New User
William

Price, I'd get rid of the bark on the edges or one day you'll discover beetles having a party.

price griffin

New User
slick

Yea i was thinking about the bark...some of them short pieces ive messed with had sone bugs in the bark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors