Walnut Side Tables Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Finished up these 2 commission side tables yesterday thought I'd snap some pics before they were picked up.
walnut_side_tables_002_Small_.jpg

View image in gallery

I'm happy with the shape, size, and form. Not the happiest with the finish, should have filled the tops before the poly. I did however, manage in the end to get the 2 tops pretty close in color:
Before:

After:

One lesson here for me, heartwood and sapwood finish completely different. The sapwood was porous and almost acted like pine. The heartwood was easy as pie.

This was also my first time using buttons to secure the top to the base. Pretty cool way to go!

In the end I'm glad they are leaving, hope my customer enjoys them for years to come.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Those came out real nice bro, ya done good. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Brian.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Michael,

They look great. How do you go about "evening out" the top colors?

bobby g

+1

I remember the thread you started regarding the color correction of the sap wood....what was the final solution b/c they really turned out well?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The tables came out really great Mike. Is the underside of the top beveled? It looks like it is in the last pic, but I can't tell for sure in the others. If so, was that to give it a "lighter" look?

Bill

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Bob and David,

I tried a couple of different approaches. 1st tried Transtint Dark Walnut in water and it made it look grey (almost like kiln dried walnut looks) I then tried to add some yellow warmth to it but then the shade was too dark brown. After a few other such experiments I tried Minwax "Special Walnut" oil based stain and believe it or not with the 1st table stained and the other left natural they turned out like you see them. The top coats of polyurethane also helped to warm up the colors although without using pore filler in the end they were not as smooth as I would have liked them.

Bill,

The tops are beveled. They were 1 inch thick and I beveled them so the sides were 1/2 thick. I liked the "lighter" look like you said. I also like bevels:gar-Bi

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice work!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Looks to me that you really nailed the finish. Good job!

Wayne

dsotmoon

New User
dsotmoon
very nice, i was almost sure you were going to have to dye that one top to get it even but it looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors