Walnut Quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWSmith

New User
David
My supplier has told me the quarantine in northern states is only for raw wood and the raw wood can't be moved out of the county it is cut in and has to be kiln dried in that same county. Once the wood has been kiln dried, there is no problem with the canker spreading.

This is a serious problem and will only drive the cost of walnut up.

manfre

New User
Manfre
My supplier has told me the quarantine in northern states is only for raw wood and the raw wood can't be moved out of the county it is cut in and has to be kiln dried in that same county. Once the wood has been kiln dried, there is no problem with the canker spreading.

This is a serious problem and will only drive the cost of walnut up.
This should increase the number of local portable saw mills, which might in the long term drive down prices for other woods.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I realize we're trying to find a silver lining in this, but personally I'd rather pay a little more for wood (as much as it hurts to say) and have healthy trees. Invasive species and their diseases are a genuine threat to the future viability of such trees and can eventually lead to the unavailability of such prized species.

Here's hoping they can contain this outbreak so that we and future generations may continue to enjoy the beauty of Walnut in ours, and others, projects.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
California, Oregon, Washington, Tennessee already has a ban for the whole state for green log or lumber. Unfortunately people will not abide by the regulations and it will continue spread despite the band aid application of quarantine. The same issue is happening with Emerald Ash borer which is why ash is so cheap at this time and in years to come will be very expensive. The same thing will happen if a large outbreak occurs, walnut will become cheap then VERY expensive.

http://www.fs.fed.us/foresthealth/fhm/sp/tcd/tcd.shtml

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
California, Oregon, Washington, Tennessee already has a ban for the whole state for green log or lumber. Unfortunately people will not abide by the regulations and it will continue spread despite the band aid application of quarantine. The same issue is happening with Emerald Ash borer which is why ash is so cheap at this time and in years to come will be very expensive. The same thing will happen if a large outbreak occurs, walnut will become cheap then VERY expensive.

http://www.fs.fed.us/foresthealth/fhm/sp/tcd/tcd.shtml

Wholesale walnut is already up there, about 2 times as much as cherry

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Strange how these seemingly remote occurrences affect us all. We didn't have these warnings during the American Chestnut blight, but better surveillance and forestry research is a vast improvement. Witness the American Hemlock and the wooly adelgid in Western NC.

Thanks to Howard Acheson for posting. :icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS