Walnut logs

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
Someone local had a walnut tree fall down recently and had it cut up. Didn't hear about it until it was too late, was cut into 2-2 1/2 ft logs. I picked up a few of them with the thought of trying to get some small pieces of lumber out of them.

Now I understand that it won't be ready to use for quite some time and plan on storing it in my parents barn. Question is, would it be worth it to take the logs to a sawmill or should I just freehand cut them with my chainsaw.

Would also like to make a mallet out of a chunk as well.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
A lot is going to depend on the diameter of the log and the equipment you have to work with. Rule one: cut down the middle of the cylinder to get rid of the pith (heart). The two half cylinders can have their edges ripped straight to get rid of sapwood and bark. What you have left will be what you have to work with. Once the log is rough cut, seal the ends and let it dry. Cutting into boards now on a band saw is good strategy. Cut out the square that you want to use for the mallet. Do not leave the pith channel in unless you want the wood to split badly and become firewood.

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
Well, I dont have a bandsaw which is the main thing that makes me hesitant to do it myself.

I picked up 7 or 8 logs just to see what I was getting into before I got more. They range from 10 1/2 inches to 16 inches in diameter not counting bark obviously. I know they won't yield a lot which is what makes me think it wouldn't be worth the time and money to take them to a mill.

I figure if nothing else it'll give me quite a few pen blanks to practice turning with. Free is free :D

Attached is a picture of a half I cut to see what the face would look like.

Attachments

• 20200815_010452.jpg
    20200815_010452.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 146

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Looks good to me. Sapwood isn't too bad.
If you spilt all the logs in the middle like this one, I suspect you can find a friend with a band saw that will help you process things.
Your intuition is right about it not being worth the time to take it to a mill.

Fishbucket

Joe
Senior User
I'd Seal the ends now with any kind of paint you have. Then process when/ as you can.
Little pieces can become bigger pieces with glue.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's a decent piece of black walnut. You could rive some boards out of the logs since you don't have a bandsaw. You'll need a froe to rive.

AnchorSeal is excellent for sealing the ends of the boards to prevent checking.

Attachments

• P1010001.png
    P1010001.png
    1 MB · Views: 79

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
I'll look at those today.

One thing I'm looking at making is some "heirloom" jewelry boxes for my daughters (4 of them). I want to make them something they can use and eventually give to their own daughters. I think the walnut will go well along with some maple for accents. Would make it even nicer if I milled the lumber myself too.

And since the boxes won't require very large pieces, it would be the perfect use.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I don't know of any mill that can saw a log less than 48" in length, but a band saw will make some nice lumber from those pieces, you need to find a friend with a band saw that will help you. Where are you located Cody? I am between Newton and Maiden if that will help.

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
I don't know of any mill that can saw a log less than 48" in length, but a band saw will make some nice lumber from those pieces, you need to find a friend with a band saw that will help you. Where are you located Cody? I am between Newton and Maiden if that will help.

I am in Cherryville. Not far from you, about 20-30 minutes.

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
So it doesn't seem like I just abandoned the thread. Had a nice conversation with Bruce and will be meeting up to mill up some lumber from the logs. Thanks Bruce!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
So it doesn't seem like I just abandoned the thread. Had a nice conversation with Bruce and will be meeting up to mill up some lumber from the logs. Thanks Bruce!

Good for you and Bruce. How about some pictures of the boards from those logs?

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
Good for you and Bruce. How about some pictures of the boards from those logs?

Will do. Hoping to get enough for those jewelry boxes out of it. And mallet head. I have a big piece of rough cut hickory that will be slated for handles

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Cody, the picture of your half-log looks like you sawed the piece with it standing on end. I have found it's easier to rip down the center if you put the log horizontal. That way you are ripping and not cutting end grain. I wedge the piece and draw vertical lines through the pith and connect the lines along the top.

Roy G

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
:p I did, and it would've been a lot easier. I cut that one when I was out picking up the logs and didn't have a good way to wedge it so I cut it on end. It wasn't fun. Chain wasn't the sharpest before, definitely dull now.

I'm flattening one side before I take them over to Bruce where we will mill them. Finally found a use for the electric hand plane

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS