walnut desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Some of you may remember a few weeks ago FredP helped me get some walnut planks ready for a build. Well here is what I have been able to make from that stock. It is a desktop the is going under the staircase inside our new home. Walnut with cherry and cypress inlay.

00131.JPG

View image in gallery

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Sorry about the extra pics. Not sure what happened there.

Also this pic was taken before I sanded all the inlays smooth. Got it sanded to 180 grit today. Will work on it more during the week.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Sure is spiffy!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Well done.

Wayne

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
very nice design. out of curiosity, how are you accounting for wood movement w/ the mitered apron?

Sam

Flyin by the seat of pants here. I routered all of the edges of the boards before I glued them down.Used a 45 bit and cut halfway up the edge. I have a layer of MDF under the walnut. I also used screws from the bottom to hold it all in place. I then cut the trim to cover the MDF. I hope that is enough to cover any movement. Not sure.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Flyin by the seat of pants here. I routered all of the edges of the boards before I glued them down.Used a 45 bit and cut halfway up the edge. I have a layer of MDF under the walnut. I also used screws from the bottom to hold it all in place. I then cut the trim to cover the MDF. I hope that is enough to cover any movement. Not sure.

Is the walnut glued to the MDF?

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Glued and screwed.

What kind of finish do you guys suggest? This will be a desk so I expect some writing and paperwork to be done on it. I want a good hard finish. My wife is concered about writing imprinting into the wood. I have some teak oil I plan to use when I get it sanded down. I was then thinking about polycrylic maybe. She wants to put a layer of glass over it. I do not.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Glued and screwed.

What kind of finish do you guys suggest? This will be a desk so I expect some writing and paperwork to be done on it. I want a good hard finish. My wife is concered about writing imprinting into the wood. I have some teak oil I plan to use when I get it sanded down. I was then thinking about polycrylic maybe. She wants to put a layer of glass over it. I do not.

Attaching the walnut to the MDF with glue and screws doesn't allow any movement at all. The walnut wants to expand and contract, but the MDF doesn't. This could become a problem in the future. I guess time will tell. I am also interested to see what people recommend for a finish.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
for walnut (and other darker woods), I like amber or garnet shellac -2 coats, sand after the first coat to knock down the raised grain. It brings out the rich color of walnut. (BLO or other oil finishes do a nice job as well). Topcoat as desired -shellac, wipe-on poly, polycrylic, etc.... As always, test your finish schedule on some scrap before adding to your actual work.

FWIW. Movement may wreak havoc on your project. To give you an idea of how much wood can shrink. I built a coffee table out of walnut and maple that was ~24" wide with breadboard ends. After it was finished, and brought into the climate controlled house from my garage shop, the top shrunk across its width ~1/8". The bb ends of course were no longer flush w/ the sides. That's ok b/c that design prevents the top from bowing yet allowing for expansion/contraction.

Sam

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Thank you so much for the compliments. I got some teak oil and put a few coats on it. It looks so much better now. I am very happy with the way it has turned out. I will try to get a good pic of it in the next day or so.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>>>> FWIW. Movement may wreak havoc on your project.

Yes, I'm afraid you are correct. Every end grain is constricted by a cross grain solid joint. In addition, attaching a hardwood to a composition material substrate is certain to be problematic also. The solid wood will want to move with changes in moisture while the composition material will remain stable. Nothing in a design should have solid connection cross pieces.

It's a basic design and construction axiom that nothing should restrict the ability of solid wood to expand/contract across its width. Either the joints will fail or warping will result.

You may get lucky and have relatively small seasonal changes in relative humidity in which case wood movement will be minimal and damage small.

Sorry.....

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Johnny, you've done yourself proud. The inlay looks terrific. Do post pics after you put a few coats of finish on that.

thsb

New User
Tim
i agree that the movement will be a wait and see thing, but given that it is already constructed and looks great, aren't there some things that he can do to help minimize potential damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS