Walnut crotch wood platter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
8 3/8" diameter, 1 1/4" height, finished to 3000 grit, and at the time of this photo, one coat of Minwax Tung Oil finish. Took me 6 hours to turn, sand and finish this piece. The decorations are courtesy of the guest speaker (Frank B. Penta) we had at our Woodturner's meeting last Tuesday night. Frank is past president of the Woodturner's Guild of North Carolina. He has also been featured in AMERICAN WOODTURNER and is a co-author of WOODTURNING TOOLS, TECHNIQUES AND PROJECTS. This was my FIRST platter after a great demonstration!

Dave Peterson

walnutflatfb1.jpg

walnutfrontfb2.jpg

walnutbackfb3.jpg

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I am blown away by the wood, but more blown away looking at the finished project and all of the different "decorations" in your project. A real piece of art. Thank you for posting.

MagGeorge

New User
George
Gorgeous platter! Great shape, the wood looks amazing with those awesome grain patterns. Like the added textures and decorations, makes it more eye catching. Excellent turning piece!

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
Very nice. So are the decorations carved on or what?

Ken: The decorations are done with a texturing tool. It is a little free-spinning wheel on the end of a rod, and it is serrated. You just press it against the wood for 15-30 seconds. I apply a bead on either side of it to highlight it and cleam up the edges of the texture.

Dave

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Ken: The decorations are done with a texturing tool. It is a little free-spinning wheel on the end of a rod, and it is serrated. You just press it against the wood for 15-30 seconds. I apply a bead on either side of it to highlight it and cleam up the edges of the texture.

While the workpiece is spinning on the lathe?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Chris - I don't know for certain in this case (not my work).

YES I believe that (lathe) texturing tools are used against the wood/workpiece while it is spinning (i.e. powered) on the lathe.

Henry

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Chris - I don't know for certain in this case (not my work).

YES I believe that (lathe) texturing tools are used against the wood/workpiece while it is spinning (i.e. powered) on the lathe.

My brain wonders how that would work with a regular pattern with a fixed size - how does it mesh when the end meets the beginning after the first revolution? Seems like you'd need a wheel with a specific tooth spacing based on the radius of the section you are working. Perhaps I'm over-thinking it.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
Yes, the wood is spinning on the lathe. each circled pattern takes about 30 sec (max) to do. I don't know how it does it, but I do know that the pattern turns out different at different speeds, or different angles. While you can find the tool at Woodcraft for about $80, I found mine, brand new in the bag, on eBay for $25. It did not have a handle on it, but that was easy enough to turn on the lathe. It is a fun toy!

Dave Peterson

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Please post a link to the Woodcraft version so we can envision better what this is. Very intriguing patterns.

Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors