Walnut and other wood in Durham

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Here is some wood I picked up today from Ricky Pope. He lives about 20 minutes away from my shop and its just great to have such a resource nearby. I read comments about the Hardwood Store and I don't want to step on any toes here but I culled their walnut 8/4 stuff and I didn't find one piece to my liking.

When I went to Ricky's yard there were so many pieces of gorgeous maple, river birch and walnut stacked in a way you could easily see all the choices without much effort.

If you look carefully at the 2 boards in the photo you will find one small knot in the wider board.
The wood is kiln dried. I had to get some extra as I don't like mixing my air dried stuff with the kiln dried wood.

He has a wide assortment of wood available and you can see his operation from the wood storage area. Good stuff.

The phone numbers for Ricky Pope in Bahama, NC are:
Home: 919-471-9118
Cell: 919-485-9996

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Ricky is about 5 minutes from my house. I called him awhile back and he invited me to come by his operation and take some pictures. I still haven't done it.

What is pic #3? I can't tell what it is or why it's there.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Thanks. Dan could have just said what the board thickness is (4/4, 8/4) and made it less confusing to me at least.
I for one appreciate the post with a new source for buying quality wood in the area. Sorry the pictures weren't perfectly labeled for you.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the info Dan. I'll add it to my list. That is some really nice looking stuff.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Thanks. Dan could have just said what the board thickness is (4/4, 8/4) and made it less confusing to me at least.
If you read the first post carefully you would have seen I was looking for 8/4 stock. The photo is the edge of a 2" board.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
If you read the first post carefully you would have seen I was looking for 8/4 stock. The photo is the edge of a 2" board.

Yep, I guess I missed that point (8/4 wanted). I see it now.

I had to get some extra as I don't like mixing my air dried stuff with the kiln dried wood.
Scott Smith told me that solar kiln dried BW is every bit as nice as air dried material. The BW at the Hardwood Store is not air dried or solar kiln dried and that may be why you didn't find anything to your liking.

Last edited:

Xlogger

New User
Ricky
Thanks Dan for coming out and the post. I had my main building fall during the large snow before Christmas and built another one twice the size and higher. I now can display taller slabs and more. I've had a lot of slabs air drying during this time and now I'm getting a lot going thru the kiln so I should have several hundred soon. About every week I'm getting a load out. I have a email list several of you are on that I send out when I get a load out and ready to sell. If anyone here wants to be on the list just send me a personal message with your email address and I'll add you on it.
Also as of now my cedar lumber supply is in good shape.
Thanks, Ricky

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS