Walnut and a contrasting wood question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
Hi all. I'm going to be making a box for my sister's daughter to hold papers and stuff as she grows up. In the past, I've done these boxes using maple and and cherry as contrasting woods. This time, I thought I'd try walnut, but I'm not sure what a good contrasting wood would be. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
NCGrimbo

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Quartersawn white oak and walnut go together well too, in my opinion. But maple always works. It's like ketchup, it goes with everything :)

bwat

New User
Bill
Ditto to Bas' comments. Any lighter toned wood will contrast with the darker walnut. Those with the wildest grains (birds eye or curly maple, wormy chestnut, endless list) work best for me.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Personaly I like ERC with Walnut but that is just me. ERC is brittle and hard to work with sometimes and I do mostly scrolling or turning but it works well for me
JMTCW :mrgreen:

NightOwl

New User
Britt
White oak is what first comes to mind. I made a checker board with walnut and sycamore that I liked too.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I was hoping to avoid maple for this project, so it sounds like white oak would be a good choice. Thanks again!

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I am not overly fond of the grain of white oak in small pieces. Walnut has a similar grain so that may have an appeal. If you want light and dark any of the others mentioned will work, but why settle for the ordinary? If you are committed to walnut, perhaps you might try something only a tad lighter (or even darker!) All those light woods will darken with light and time. Why not dye your alternate wood something interesting - such as blue? Use a color wheel to get an idea of what may work well together. The sky is the limit for your imagination ...

richlife

New User
Rich
A truly awesome light wood to use with black walnut is beech. Very nice color, you can find figure or tight grain and the density is similar. I made a chess board with these two and it truly was gorgeous. Rich

Jeff

New User
Jeff
There's a brief, but interesting article by Garrett Hack titled "Using Contrast" (FWW #211, p38, 2010) which you may find useful. Pretty subjective topic, but it's a starter for consideration.

Let us know what combo you choose and maybe your reasons for doing so. By all means include pics to verify it! :icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS