wall mounted open shelving

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhreed

New User
james
I want to build some wall mounted open shelving for my pantry. Where do I go to find instruction on construction & hanging of these cabinets?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The easiest thing is to go buy those metal strips you screw to the studs and clip in the shel brackets.

If you want actual wood shelves then you could make some like my library shelves. Use pine 1 x 12 and route a groove about 1/4 inch deep where you want each shelf. Cut all the shelves the same length and glue them in the slots. I like to use three inch corner braces to attach the shelf to the wall so it won't tilt over when it is full.

I can post some pictures later if that will help.

jhreed

New User
james
Thanks Mike. What I am after is more like upper kitchen cabinets without doors or back. They will be approx. 4' off the floor, 5' wide and approx. 4' high without a back. Shelves will be 15" deep with spacing of approx. 16". Should I make two units approx. 30" wide? and specifically how should I mount them to the wall. This is a pantry and will have canned goods, paper products, cast iron frying pans, etc.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
At 5 feet wide I would make two or build in a divider in the center to stiffen the shelves. A plywood back would help keep it stiff too.

To hang it you have a choice of french cleats or corner braces screwed into the studs and the cabinet. The french cleat would be stronger and look better. You can google "french cleat" to find how to make it. Basically a 1x4 with the top cut 45° to catch a matching 1x4 on the back of the cabinet. Then a single flat the same thickness on the bottom of the cabinet to keep it level to the wall.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
James, you're going to have the potential for a lot of weight on those shelves. You don't say why you want to build this without a back so it's hard for to visualize anything but a wall system for lightweight object 'd art. But if it were going in my house, I'd hang the shelves just like I'd hang upper cabinets, or across steel shelving brackets. To get the appearance you're after using brackets, you could frame around the ends of the shelves. Let us know what you come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS