Wall Cabinet Filler Strips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
My oldest daughter has asked me build a pair of wall cabinets for her laundry room. (Currently just using wire shelving.) She wants them mounted between two walls that are roughly 67" apart.

I built a pair of 30" cabinets last year or so for my second oldest daughter, but her cabinets were just mounted in the middle a long wall. For this project I was thinking about two 30" cabinets between the two walls but was wondering what width filler strips are traditionally cut to flush up the cabinets to the adjoining walls. I am obviously flexible with the overall cabinet widths but a little stumped as the acceptable filler strips for each end. (ie 30" wide cabinets would add 3 1/2" to each end of the cabinet run or I can make each cabinet a tad wider.)

I plan on making both cabinets with face frames and overlay doors.

Any guidance anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I had a similar situation in our last home. I was given 2- 30" cabinets to use in an area 68" wide, which left 8" of space to deal with. So I mounted them to each wall and made 3 shelves for the center in between the two for mail, batteries, light bulbs etc.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Build two 33 1/4" cabinets, butt them together and install cove molding to fill the 1/4" gap on each end.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Charlie has the right idea. Nice thing about making things is you aren't limited to stock sizes. Could also make~33" cabinets with a wider outside stile which you could scribe to the wall to eliminate molding.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
My oldest daughter has asked me build a pair of wall cabinets for her laundry room. (Currently just using wire shelving.) She wants them mounted between two walls that are roughly 67" apart.

I built a pair of 30" cabinets last year or so for my second oldest daughter, but her cabinets were just mounted in the middle a long wall. For this project I was thinking about two 30" cabinets between the two walls but was wondering what width filler strips are traditionally cut to flush up the cabinets to the adjoining walls. I am obviously flexible with the overall cabinet widths but a little stumped as the acceptable filler strips for each end. (ie 30" wide cabinets would add 3 1/2" to each end of the cabinet run or I can make each cabinet a tad wider.)

I plan on making both cabinets with face frames and overlay doors.

Any guidance anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne, how tall are these cabinets going to be? The only reason I ask is, 30" is a VERY wide cabinet and door. I would investigate 3 or possibly 4 narrower ones.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wayne, how tall are these cabinets going to be? The only reason I ask is, 30" is a VERY wide cabinet and door. I would investigate 3 or possibly 4 narrower ones.

The cabinets will be around 30" tall and 12.5" deep. Each cabinet will have a center stile and two doors. Much like the these ones from my previous adventure...

DSCN0425.JPG

Wayne

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
What type of cabinet, face frame or frameless?

If frameless, make two 32" cabs and put the 1 1/2" fillers on each end.

If face frame, then make two 30" cabs. Make one large face frame unit to cover both cabs spaced in such a way that the center stile is twice as wide as the ends. Make the stiles on the ends flush to the inside of the cabs and scribe the ends to the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS