Vise workshop show off

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Had a great time at the workshop Saturday. I would like to show off the completed project. Well almost completed. I still need to plug the pin holes on the side.
I hope all others that attended can also show their vise in action.
Thank you goes out to Pop Pop, Mike, and Phil for putting it together.

Attachments

• 20220611_201933.jpg
    20220611_201933.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
  • 20220611_201921.jpg
    20220611_201921.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 140

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
A hint.

When you start using the vise mounted like that use iron C-clamps to hold it solidly to the benchtop. The quick clamps won’t hold well enough and F-clamps are marginal.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I noticed it was not as tight as the ones we used in the workshop. The rounded edge of my lathe stand didn’t help matters either. This is not it’s permanent home though. I don’t have a traditional work bench so I will move it to we’re ever I’m working at the time.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I look forward to seeing everyone else’s vises as well. Nice job Johnny!

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here it is waiting for the glue to dry for the pads. 3-4 coats of satin lacquer and an application of Bri Wax.

For all interested, Sapele and Hard Maple for the vise, walnut for the knob.

For those at the workshop, yes, I replaced the block that was cracked during the fab Saturday. Luckily, I had a spare already prepped. I also ran the counterbores deeper for the mounting screws on the face of the leg and chop. And, now, I know what those terms mean! I also counterbored the pin holes for 1/2" maple dowels to match the handle.

Now to build a workbench on which to mount the vise I picked up at the picnic and to use this. Got any wood for a bench top?

Unknown-10.jpeg
Unknown-11.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors