Vise workshop second prototype

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
So what's the verdict Mike? 4 or 5 lobes?
I am still building the vise to use the four lobe wheel.

I’ll bring examples and patterns for both to the workshop so you can choose at the last minute. Or, bring two blanks and make one of each.

Last edited:

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
So what's the verdict Mike? 4 or 5 lobes?
Looks like four lobes has a slight edge since the deeper cutout gives one just a bit more purchase for the final snugging. The advantage is slight but quite tangible.

Also note the nice long grain edge surface on the handwheel on the left. I glued it up as an end-grain butcher block.
0E2E1A4E-D696-4AF0-88BE-9AFFBB22B470.jpeg

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
What are you using for screws and hardware in this vise. I'm ready to start a workbench, but can't really invest in the Benchcraft kit which is awesome I'm sure.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
What are you using for screws and hardware in this vise. I'm ready to start a workbench, but can't really invest in the Benchcraft kit which is awesome I'm sure.
The screw and nuts are from a 14” dumbbell handle. With COVID, these are sometimes hard to get. I ordered some from Walmart last week (limit 4) for $6.87 each and now they are out of stock again. They don’t last long in the stores either.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Mark Johnson I used a dumbbell handle for my moxon vise, and bought an inexpensive vise screw when I built my leg vise.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
The screw and nuts are from a 14” dumbbell handle. With COVID, these are sometimes hard to get. I ordered some from Walmart last week (limit 4) for $6.87 each and now they are out of stock again. They don’t last long in the stores either.
Thanks, that helps. 14 inch is too short for my leg vise, but would be useful elsewhere.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
@Mark Johnson I used a dumbbell handle for my moxon vise, and bought an inexpensive vise screw when I built my leg vise.

That's great, I was having a hard time finding a screw. Even the Yost screws are not available.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Another inexpensive vise screw is a repurposed scaffold leveling jack. Widely available at widely varying prices.

62F47641-5F28-4288-BA50-74DEC18EB82D.png

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS