Vise lining?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Considering best lining for bench vises. Suede is suggested. Not very thick I assume. Always just had plain wood. Any comments?

Scott H

Scott
User
You can also get cork/rubber gasket material in rolls from auto supply places if that crubber is out of stock. I think it is virtually the same thing or at least very similar. I have a roll I am planning on putting on my vise(s).

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Never seen crubber. Might put it on one and suede on another. Actually, might be a cool material foe some of the gaskets in LBC's. Thanks for the link, they have some cool products, but gasp, 5 grand for a bench? Glad I only spent a couple hundred on mine :)

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
You can get it at an auto parts store. It comes in different thickness. It is a cork rubber blend. It is sold as a gasket material. I’ve used it in my vises for several years and it works great. I bought a sheet for about $20.00 and have lined three vises and several clamps. With what’s left a can reline the vises as needed when needed.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Here is what you ask for in an auto parts store.

607BBAA1-41DF-4704-98B8-111AF1863749.jpeg

Almost any glue will do with one caveat.
EEDADE04-37BC-455F-A771-0F4B8D2185D2.jpeg

I have clamped another vise cantilevered in a high vise and left it overnight and found wrinkled jaw liner the next day from the torque of the clamped vise’s overhanging weight. Contact cement or high-gram hot hide glue have resisted wrinkling the best for me. You need a hide glue that is solid at room temperature. For example, Old Brown Glue did not work.

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is what you ask for in an auto parts store.

View attachment 203833

Almost any glue will do with one caveat.
View attachment 203845

I have clamped another vise cantilevered in a high vise and left it overnight and found wrinkled jaw liner the next day from the torque of the clamped vise’s overhanging weight. Contact cement or high-gram hot hide glue have resisted wrinkling the best for me. You need a hide glue that is solid at room temperature. For example, Old Brown Glue did not work.
Yes I use hide glue, I find it holds up better over time.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS