Vise advice? Pop-pop has me considering options

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Wow - perusing Mike's cross-thread vise post(s) has me drooling.
Vise workshop second prototype
This looks amazing, and quite accessible (with all the details that I believe are found in previous posts).

Here's my context question though: Is this appropriate as a first/only vise? Could it be hard mounted on a bench that has some overhang of the top? If so, how might this be mounted?
I'd like a vise but have gone down that road yet - this looks enabling. Of course I know it depends on what I'd do with the vise, but b/c I don't have one I don't necessarily know how I'd use it.

Most of my work is furniture, mostly as a power tool user, with a mixing of hand fitting; I do some (hand) planing and scraping, some fitting of Mortise and tenons etc, but have not really done dovetails. The bench top style for an elevated work vise, that I believe I have seen here on NCWW, looks atractive too - may have the same style vise built into a benchtop small 'bench'

Just as Phil's spray workshop a few years back enabled me to start spray finishing, this looks like the same deal. I do not however know enough about vises (the types and mounting requirements, ad/disad of various types, etc) to know how to reasonably proceed. This seems like a great entry point, although it may be more appropriate as a 2nd or 3rd vise.

So I'm looking for overview/ reviews and/or basic vise advice.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
So I'm looking for overview/ reviews and/or basic vise advice.
I’ll start by saying that I and others who have a high vise evolve to using it as their primary vise. My front of my bench has a leg vise, sliding leg vise, and a high vise. Usage of the high vise is probably 90-95% relative to the others.

My high vise designs include a clamping bracket so that the vise can be fastened to an edge with C-clamps, holdfasts, bolts, etc.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Yes I recall thinking how I could definitely use that idea when I saw your mini-bench style that could simple clamped to the bench-top. I believe that had a Moxon vice, IIRC. That mini-bench would likely prove very useful to me as well -even though I can't really predict my uses. Your 909-95% number from experience says a lot though. Likely need to go that route.
Thanks

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors