Vintage tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
I made a small wine rack for a friend and he rewarded me with a couple of old tools...a brace and plow plane.
I dont know much about vintage woodworking tools, but I know some of you are really knowledgeable, so I'm posting them for comments

First is this brace

DSCN1665.JPG

It shows "John Wilson Maker Sheffield " on the chuck end

DSCN1667.JPG

The other is this plow plane

DSCN1669.JPG

DSCN1678.JPG

DSCN1676.JPG

DSCN1675.JPG

Its stamped " John Moseley and son, 54-56 Broad St., Bloomsbury , London

DSCN16721.JPG

I think both of these tools were made in the mid 1800s. Seem to be in pretty good shape for their age

Any comments about them would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking. Don

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Can't give you a number but will say those are above average and very valuable as hand tools go.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Touchwood:

I was just in Ed's tool store (above Roy Underhill) this past week-end and was looking at similar braces. Ed had 5 and the ones that were as nice as yours pictured ran in the $125-$175 range.

I have an Ohio plow plane of similar design and with 8 blades it cost $188 plus sales tax. I would think a John Moseley and son plow would bring twice that amount. Ohio tools are abundant. John Moseley tools are pretty rare.

Hope that helps.

David Turner
North Raleigh

Touchwood

New User
Don
Thanks David. Both Wilson and Moseley seem to be hard to find. I Googled some of their history, but had no idea of the value of the tools.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Don,

You might want to send an email with a few pictures to Jim Bode (Jim Bode Tools [jim@jimbodetools.com]) and ask him for any information about these. He buys and sells vintage tools and has many examples on his website. I purchased a set of eighteen John Moseley Hollows and Rounds (Evens) a year ago (circa 1819-80) and very recently a set of 8 John Moseley Beading planes (circa 1862-80). All of them were purchased by Jim in England and are in Fine condition (the latter set were all owned by a single user and each bears his mark as well).

Hope this helps.

Rob Payne

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
I wood be glad to drive to Raleigh to help out on his next build for a payment like that. You did GOOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS