Vibration in new Steel City 6 inch jointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

roweathers

New User
Ron
Hi all. I have a brand new Steel City 6 inch jointer. This is my first jointer and last night was my first use. I noticed more vibration in the jointer than I would have expected, but since I have zero past experience, I don't know what would be considered normal vibration.

I would appreciate any other experiences with jointer vibration (with SC or other makes/models). Also, any suggestions for diagnosing potential contributors to the vibration and what tips for taming vibrations.

Many thanks
Ron

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ron, if the jointer head is belt driven your problem may be related to the belts.

Sometimes if an installed belt stays in the same position for a long time, it will develop a "memory" and cause a vibration (from where the belt is wrapped around a small pulley). This vibration will be worse when the belts are cold.

Sometimes running them ( or letting the belts warm up) will reduce or alleviate the problem. Sometimes you have to change the belt.

You might see if you can find out when your jointer was manufactured, and how long the belts may have been in a stationary position.

Regards,

Scott

roweathers

New User
Ron
Scott, many thanks for the insight. The head is belt driven. I pulled the back cover off and increased the belt tension, but I don't think this made a big difference. I will check the belt again and probably replace with a new just to eliminate this as a contributor. Thanks again.
Ron

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
:wsmile:All that Scott said, PLUS, get you a link belt and your vibration problem is gone!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I'd be calling Steel City before investing in a belt.

Then, when you invest in a belt I'd consider a linked belt. The popular ones for years have been the red ones, which the price never stops climbing on -- so now Harbor Freight sells an exact clone for about 30% less (but it is green). Anywho, consider one of those for less vibration.

Sully

New User
jay
You might also try pulling the belt off and run the motor just to make sure the issue is not the motor bearings/mount/etc.

Definitely give SC a call. If the vibration is excessive they should offer to replace the belt IMHO.

J

PS: A link belt is a great upgrade for just about any power tool.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Take the belt off and run the motor. No vibration is good. With the belt still off and the motor unplugged spin the cutter head. If it is smooth good. See if it stops at or near the same place every time you spin it. If it does the cutter head is not balanced and I would want the thing replaced. Make sure your pulleys are properly aligned. Level the machine.

Scott's comments on the belt getting a memory is VERY true. I have had the same issue on a tablesaw in the past. For some reason, can't say for sure, I think this is more problematic in shops that aren't heated.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I'd be calling Steel City before investing in a belt.

Then, when you invest in a belt I'd consider a linked belt. The popular ones for years have been the red ones, which the price never stops climbing on -- so now Harbor Freight sells an exact clone for about 30% less (but it is green). Anywho, consider one of those for less vibration.

I don't have the energy to look it up right now, but IIRC there are two different size link belts (width). The belt must match the size of the pulley. Small belt - large pulley, belt rides too low in the pulley. Large belt - small pulley, belt rides too high and may jump out. Just be careful to get the proper sized (width) belt to fit your pulleys.

George

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Hi all. I have a brand new Steel City 6 inch jointer. This is my first jointer and last night was my first use. I noticed more vibration in the jointer than I would have expected, but since I have zero past experience, I don't know what would be considered normal vibration.

I would appreciate any other experiences with jointer vibration (with SC or other makes/models). Also, any suggestions for diagnosing potential contributors to the vibration and what tips for taming vibrations.

Many thanks
Ron

I would call Steel City. I had issues with a couple SC products and their customer service was great. I am sure they will try to make you happy.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors