Very nice offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Some of you have probably seen the dentist thread that Scott Smith posted. Brian (the dentist and fellow member of NCWWer) had a great offer.

Question- for some time I've been considering offering an "across the board" 10% break to NCWW members, but have refrained out of concern that it would be an inappropriate use of this venue. This thread is a good opportunity to ask- what do y'all think of this? Great idea or shut my mouth and stick to woodworking?

I don't see how this is in violation of any site rule, but I could be wrong. Sounds like a wonderful offer to me. Any thoughts?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
It's his business and I don't see a problem. But should we limit it to DQ members like other discounts are handled?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I agree Tracy, and I still feel that DQ should be posted alongside each DQ qualified members avatar. I think it would create interest in more members becoming DQ. I feel the same about Corporate Member being included too.

And we don't want to create a conduit for everyone to take advantage of his offer. By everyone, I mean any person who stumbles across the site and simply takes advantage of his offer.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
While it is a very nice gesture it is not WW related. I am afraid to open the door because where do we stop.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
If its not a violation of site policy, then I guess anyone can offer a discount. I have to agree with Joe on this one and recommend to Brian that he only offers it to DQ members, or possibly make that a site policy (we don't want people becoming members just to get discounts, we want members that visit a lot). I'll also echo Joe's point on putting the "DQ" next to someone's avatar. I feel that it would motivate people to be more active on the site.

As far as opening the flood gates, I don't think discounts are a bad thing. Scott, you're right, it's not woodworking related, but if a member, at a legitimate business, wants to offer a discount to DQ members, then I don't see why not. My .02 :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Nice gesture on the dentist's part. Doesn't affect me either way, but -
I know we've not allowed vehicles and other non-wood items to be listed for sale, and games/ fantasy leagues/ etc have not been allowed to be posted, so allowing a member to offer a discount offer for their non-woodworking business, could be seen as a double standard - especially by someone that was told no before.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is my penny's worth....

If he wants to make a member announcement of the offer then I think I am OK with it. For my penny we do not want it under classified, hot deals or DQ/membership benefits.

Again nothing against the person just thinking long term.

M

McRabbet

IMHO, Scott Miller is dead on target here. I have no problem with him making a one-time post about a discount for potential NCWW customers, but we cannot put it in the classified or hot deals or under a DQ benefit -- I believe it should be posted in the Off Topic forum once only.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
IMHO, Scott Miller is dead on target here. I have no problem with him making a one-time post about a discount for potential NCWW customers, but we cannot put it in the classified or hot deals or under a DQ benefit -- I believe it should be posted in the Off Topic forum once only.

Which would open the offer to anyone who should stumble upon our site.. My thoughts are to dis-allow it in it's entirety. I think we should not allow it in any form. He can post it in a dental forum. While I appreciate his gesture, This could lead us down a bad path.

M

McRabbet

Ok, on reflection, I agree that while it is a nice gesture, it is a bad precedent and we should not allow it. It is not WW and we've been very consistent not to allow such things in the past.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
If his intent is truly as a good gesture and not as an advertisement than maybe there is a work-around. Maybe we can have a Corporate Member benefits section that is only available to corporate members. It could be invisible to non-corporate members and we would NOT promote it. It would just be an incidental benefit. An one could provide something similar.

JUST a thought.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I tend to agree with Doug, and go a bit further.
I think several things could/might be only in the corporate members section.
I also think we need to look into corporate membership, what it means and gets a user, and promote it somehow. Someone that cares and uses the site enough to opt in to the corporate member status, deserves and should gain access and then any discounts available.
Just like the off topic section, I don't believe everything or even as much as is, should be available to every eye that finds our site.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I think that Doug's suggestion could be a great solution and a benefit to CM's. Andy has a great point too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS