Very little dresser (PART 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

I have offically started construction!

Scroll down to see the progress.

I am looking for a good reason to build this dresser. I found it at a refinishers business about 12 years ago and fell in love with it. The guy said it had about 7 coats of paint on it and had no idea what he would find as he stripped it. I asked if I could draw up plans and take a few pictures of it. I thought I had lost them. I just found them but a pic of the dresser with the drawers in it. I have no real reason to build it.

The basic size is: 22"t x 21"w x 13"d

Give me your thoughts.

PDF File of the plans.

Little_dresser_1a.jpg

little_dresser_2a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Re: Very little dresser thoughts

Wait...you need a reason to build things? :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

As for what you could use this for - storing fine linen, doll's clothes, stationary, letters, the list is endless.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User

It's a nice looking little dresser and a fairly easy one to build at that. You should build it. You will find a use for it.

Red

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member

Wait, don't you have a daughter(s)? :eusa_thin If you build one, or two, a use will be found as long as there is room to put it somewhere. There will always be enough imagination on a kids part to find a use, or several different ones for that matter, for cool furniture with places to put things. :gar-Bi:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

My daughter would love to have one of those, heck my son would think it was cool too and both could quickly fill it with stuff. :gar-La;

So get to building and make an extra one while you're at it!!!:rotflm::rotflm:

Brian.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member

Isn't the desire to do so enough of a reason for you?

T

toolferone

Under Murphy's Law that states that: "Mankind will occupy ALL unused space" I am safe in building it and it will be filled with something. But is it a practical piece? What kind of building technique should I use, do I learn something new, do a quickie pocket hole version, or a hand cut joinery version. and then there is the question of what wood to use.

:dontknow:You all can see my dilemma. :gar-La;

Since I have a huge honey-do list, I am thinking of doing this on the Freud truck in the evenings while I am on the road. I usually have access to planners and joiners at the dealers I am visiting to do some of the prep work. Could be fun and probably better then watching TV all night in th hotel room.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan

Why not just go ahead and do at least one of every joint technique? :wink_smil Would be very entertaining if a woodworker from a future generation decided to copy it.

And, you should always strive to learn something -- even if it's just something you previously forgot.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

What kind of building technique should I use, do I learn something new, do a quickie pocket hole version, or a hand cut joinery version. and then there is the question of what wood to use.

Since I have a huge honey-do list, I am thinking of doing this on the Freud truck in the evenings while I am on the road.
Definitely make this a road project. I'd say cherry or walnut, widely available in case you mess up a part and need a replacement board. For the joinery, mortise and tenon, sawn and chopped the old fashioned way.

T

toolferone

Re: Very little dresser (NOW STARTED)!

With the help of Bas, I have started this dresser. (1-1/2 years ago I bought a jointer, it's still not hooked up)

The wood is African mahagony.

So over get some time on his jointer. I got home and planned them and ripped the other edge parallel to the jointed edge and did my glue up for the top and sides.

I am leaving for Alabama in the morning and I wanted to take the wood with me to work on in my off time on the road. I will keep you posted on the progress.

Dresser%20003.jpg

Thanks again Bas!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

The wood is absolutely gorgeous, that is going to be one nice dresser! Glad I was able to help.

Shamrock

New User
Michael

Cool little dresser and a gorgeous piece of mahogany, can't wait to see the process. Keep us updated!

T

toolferone

So, today was my day off in Nashville TN and I spent a good part of it in the truck. Although first I stopped at Woodcraft and used their Festool saw and table to crosscut the glueup into the top and 2 sides.
I setup and routed the sliding dovetails in the sides. I routed from the back to the front, but stopped short. Did not want to see the dovetail from the front. I just lifted the router at the end of my run. You can see I had to get creative in the truck to clamp things in place.
little%20dresser%202%20013a.jpg
little%20dresser%202%20014a.jpg

little%20dresser%202%20012a.jpg

I used the Freud Tongue and groove set to join the drawer dividers. (I got real lucky and nailed the set up of both bits the first time.) Threee panels are the same, but the top is different. Not enough room to do a sliding dovetail at the top, so it is a half blind from the top. To allow the sides to move the sliding DT will only be glued in the front. For the top pieces, I will only glue the fronts in place. The T&G will be loose in the back to allow for movement.
little%20dresser%202%20004a.jpg

little%20dresser%202%20006a.jpg

little%20dresser%202%20022a.jpg

Here is a jig I made to rout the DT in the top pieces.
little%20dresser%202%20020a.jpg

little%20dresser%202%20015a.jpg

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Thanks for the progress pics, Tom. This can motivate some of us take up new projects we may have thought were beyond our skill levels.

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for sharing progress Tom, it must be a challenge to work while on the road and on a furniture piece much smaller than you usually do. :wsmile:

Randy

New User
Randy
I'm not sure if I'm more jealous of your work so far or the fact that you got more done in 2 days working out of the trunk of your car than I have in 2 months working 10 steps from my garage. :gar-La;

Keep the update pics coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS