Vertical Lumber Storage Rack Plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I've decided to move my lumber from shelves to a vertical rack but I don't have any layout plans to build the vertical rack. Can anyone point me in a good direction for some?

Thanks,
NCGrimbo

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Here's what I did:
I bought a bunch of 1" Pipe flanges and attached them to the studs about 6ft high and 16" apart. Attach a 24" section of threaded black pipe to each flange sticking out into the room.

Edit 12/4/2010: Then lean the boards against the pipes and sort for size/species/project. Any tilt needs to be towards the wall. A loose safety chain is a good thing to attach between the pipes.

Last edited:

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Just lean the boards against the wall as close as possible to straight up so they don't fall over.

Unless I'm not understanding.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Just lean the boards against the wall as close as possible to straight up so they don't fall over.

Unless I'm not understanding.

They always fall like a bunch of Dominoes for me leaning against the wall. That's the reason I lean them against the pipe. If there's any tilt, arrange the tilt so it tilts towards the wall.

It's also easier to sort for me with the pipe vs trying to hold a bunch of heavy boards. I just lean them against the neighboring pipe 16" or less away. I'm getting to a point where things in my skeleton have started needing overhauling. Less chances for things to go boom are a good thing.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
They always fall like a bunch of Dominoes for me leaning against the wall. That's the reason I lean them against the pipe. If there's any tilt, arrange the tilt so it tilts towards the wall.

It's also easier to sort for me with the pipe vs trying to hold a bunch of heavy boards. I just lean them against the neighboring pipe 16" or less away. I'm getting to a point where things in my skeleton have started needing overhauling. Less chances for things to go boom are a good thing.
Well, DUH!! on me Mark. I misread your reply to the OP, and thought you had misread the OP! ;-(

I thought you were talking about laying the boards horizontally on the 24" pieces.
My skeleton is in the same condition as you describe and apparently the old noggin is too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS