Veritas Mark II problem

Rob01

New User
Robert
I’ve found that the micro bevel setting isn’t aligned very well. After finishing with my chosen primary angle, I engage the micro bevel feature and that bevel comes out skewed. Every time. The eccentric movement of the roller isn’t even across the width of the roller so I get a skewed result. At least I think that’s what is happening. The primary bevel will be nice and square and then the micro bevel comes out skewed.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I’ve found that the micro bevel setting isn’t aligned very well. After finishing with my chosen primary angle, I engage the micro bevel feature and that bevel comes out skewed. Every time. The eccentric movement of the roller isn’t even across the width of the roller so I get a skewed result. At least I think that’s what is happening. The primary bevel will be nice and square and then the micro bevel comes out skewed.
Does the wide brass roller have any radial slop on its shaft?

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Yes, there is slop in the shaft of the brass roller. Good call!
It would be nice if the roller had seals (an O-ring might be enough) instead of depending on frequent oiling to keep the swarf out.

The oil gets on my diamond plates and I have to clean them with mineral spirits often.

Rob01

New User
Robert
I wish I’d paid more attention to this. To the best of my recollection, the micro bevel always has come out skewed. That means there was play in the roller from the factory. Thinking a little more, I doubt Veritas would not catch that in QC. I’m probably just remembering it wrong and there was no play when it was new.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I use Boeing T9 on mine. No oil dripping problem. Cleaning diamond plates is easy, I just would hate any oil on my Shapton.

I only do two or three max strokes on the Shapton 16,000 for my micro bevel by hand so I have not experienced any issues with wear on the roller. Chisels I do an additional few strops on MDF and while working, only use the strop. In any case, it sure beats the instability of an "Eclipse" style and that includes the better made L-N.

CJRedd

New User
CJ
First, I’m not a Lee Valley hater. Far from it. I own a bunch of Veritas tools and will buy more. Just not a fan of the Mark II. Never could get it to work well. Biggest problem for me was maintaining a square orientation without over tightening top bar.

Seems the boys at LV might recognize some of the inherent problems of the Mark II as they are now selling a Veritas side clamp sharpening jig. I bought one and ran it through its paces just last week. Dead simple and works well for chisels. Haven’t tried it for plane irons yet but don’t foresee any problems. This whole adveture has even convinced me to give free hand sharpening a try.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Seems the boys at LV might recognize some of the inherent problems of the Mark II as they are now selling a Veritas side clamp sharpening jig. I bought one and ran it through its paces just last week. Dead simple and works well for chisels. Haven’t tried it for plane irons yet but don’t foresee any problems. This whole adveture has even convinced me to give free hand sharpening a try.
Thanks @CJRedd I was not aware that Veritas had made one...
I have said for years if someone made a solid (read well machined) "eclipse-style" sharpening jig that didn't have to be altered to function properly... it would be a winner... although at $45, there are a lot of "Frugal" woodworkers who will still alter the $10-$15 eclipse knock-off version...

gtrboy77

Dean
User
Thanks @CJRedd I was not aware that Veritas had made one...
I have said for years if someone made a solid (read well machined) "eclipse-style" sharpening jig that didn't have to be altered to function properly... it would be a winner... although at $45, there are a lot of "Frugal" woodworkers who will still alter the $10-$15 eclipse knock-off version...
Hank, can you share what sort of modifications that people are making to the Eclipse-style jigs? I’m not familiar with that.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Is there a sure cure for CRS?

My sharpening drawer has epoxy slides thus not full extension. I was looking for something else and found this unopened box way in the back:
39393A5C-EE8E-4AF5-BF2E-B1EEDBD569A9.jpeg

This attachment has Eclipse-like jaws and here it is with my 1-1/4” paring chisel.
EA937C80-7454-4ECF-A3E8-9C24F4D5DA71.jpeg

353BD44C-AA0D-4063-9E44-1BE3759EF6EE.jpeg

And with a 1/8” chisel.
A458CFA2-6D4E-409C-A006-CDEA6E1A40E0.jpeg

This solves the problems that I was having when I started this thread. The chisel squares automatically and will stay square during sharpening. The “narrow” in the name is somewhat of a misnomer since it will handle a 1-1/2” blade.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I don't have trouble with secondary bevels. I just do them by hand. If the jig gets your primary right, it is easier. When I did use the jig feature, I had no problem. Unless a plane blade, being a little skew does not matter anyway.
The one thing the Veritas jig can't hold is a V gouge. A bit awkward for skew chisels, but it can be done. I don't have any skew planes yet, so can't say how it works for them.

I should get the narrow holder. It will work on blades that are nice and square. All my tools are not. It may be better for a couple old chisels that have a larger taper top to bottom, like some mortice chisels.

Got the curved roller for plane irons but don't use it. I just use a little extra finger pressure on the last few strokes on a plane iron. Just enough. The Veritas roller is too severe I think.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Got the curved roller for plane irons but don't use it. I just use a little extra finger pressure on the last few strokes on a plane iron. Just enough. The Veritas roller is too severe I think.

Agree. One only has to remove a shaving-thickness+ at the two corners.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS