Verawood box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
This is a new design I am working on for some of my boxes. This one turned from Verawood, which is in the same family as lignum vitae, finished up at 1 3/4" tall and 3" in diameter. Verawood is very dense. The curl you see, or what appears to be curl, is actually just the difference in the Summer and Winter wood. I find it to be pretty striking in appearance anyway. This box has elicited a lot of responses both favorable and unfavorable but sold almost immediately to a well known collector. Comments appreciated.

Attachments

• Vera2comp1 (600 x 700).jpg
    Vera2comp1 (600 x 700).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 116

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Mike,

Of all the boxes you have shown, I find this one more visually appealing than the rest. That is not to say the others weren't great, I just like the figure in the wood and the design fits it just right.

MIke

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, I really like it, I like it a lot. The shape is excellent, almost modern Arabic. The non-figured wood has OUTSTANDING figure 8-O

It's as pretty or prettier that the Cocobolo box you just had featured in the lastest Woodcraft magazine (I had to throw that congratulations in :icon_thum)
You find some of the prettiest wood, and really do it justice.
Dave:)

T

toolferone

Mike that is one beautiful box! I am not sure which I like more the wood or the design. Okay I love them both.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Beautiful!!!!
( then again I don't know anything about turning bowls because all I make is pens.)
If you had not described the species I would have guessed it was an engineered wood product.:eusa_clap

bman

New User
barry
very cool :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum love the shape ....the wood speaks for it's self

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Thanks everyone for the nice feedback. I just wish I could convince you all to turn a box now and then.

Travis, in all honesty I do not remember how much the stick cost that I cut this from. The stick originally was 3+" (almost 3 1/4") square in the rough and 18" long. The box was turned from a piece slightly less than 3" long. I have a couple more sticks similarly sized that cost in the neighborhood of $15.

Here is a piece in the rough that is a little more than 4" long. I think the picture clearly shows the pronounced difference in the winter and summer wood. I think it is important for boxes to have an interesting end grain. Just because a piece of wood has interesting side grain does not mean that it will show anything on the end grain. Curly maple, for instance, has no interest at all on the end grain which will end up as the lid.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Attachments

• Verawood cropped (600 x 630).jpg
    Verawood cropped (600 x 630).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 93
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS