Veneered raised panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

New User
Wes Highfill
Has anybody ever veneered the field of a raised panel before? I may get a job building a walnut bookcase with raised panel doors, and I was thinking of making the panels really stand out. Of course, I gravitated to burled walnut or something along those lines, which pretty much means veneer. I am experienced at veneering, but typically I cover the edge of the veneer, either by burying it in a groove or with a solid wood edging. In this case, the edge of the veneer would be exposed, and in a very prominent position to the viewer of the piece.

My thought was to veneer the raised field (the face) of a solid walnut panel with something like burled walnut and the back of the panel with plain-jane walnut (for stability, of course). I think I may have FINALLY found somebody who appreciates well-built custom furniture AND is willing to pay for it. Somehow, that second part is often lacking...

woodguy1975

New User
John
Veneer the walnut panel with the veneer then raise it. The veneer line won't be noticible. This is how you can attach marquetry to panels. Do the marketry with a veneer of the same wood species, laminate it to the solid wood, and profile away. Looks like inlay. :)

Good Luck,

John

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
wes, we use woodguy's technique all the time at work. just be sure your tables are immaculate if you run the panels veneer side down, a tiny speck of wood or grit can ruin a panel in a hurry. otherwise, its a pretty straight- forward technique.

phillip

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
This sounds like a great technique. I might have to give it a shot once I can find some time.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS