Veneered Audio Rack Shelves (very pix heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
Hey Guys, I thought you guys might like to see some One-Off shelves Im building for a customer of mine. This is the first of many projects he and I have in the works so lots more will be posted in the future, but anyway .... The first in the "Projects" is replacement Component shelves. The shelves are 18" Deep X 25" wide X 2" thick HDF (high density fiberboard) most of you are familiar w/ MDF. This stuff is a lot more dense and stiffer not to mention heavier. I started off by Vacuum pressing 2 - 1" pieces together, did I mention this stuff is Heavy???

Picture004Medium.jpg

Picture002Medium.jpg

And heres what you have after a lot of cutting and Vacuum pressing. The wholes are 2" off each corner to the center and are an 1 7/8" OD with an ID of 1 1/2".Each hole will have a nylon bushing installed to to protect the Veneer from the threaded rod from chipping the veneer when installed.

The Veneer my client chose is "Angel Step Burl" Maple. Very beautiful and highly figured.

Picture010Medium.jpg

Picture007Medium.jpg

Here you can see the first edge after it has been veneered, you can do it either way but I like doing the edges then the flats.

Picture014Medium.jpg

Picture012Medium.jpg

After all the edge banding is done and flush cut its time for the Vacuum press. Now ill tell you if you can ever find yourself in the position to buy one , buy one. It will evermore change the way you do veneer work. To do it and do it right you will have between $ 800 - $ 1000 invested but its worth every penny if you do much of it. The first 3 pix show the veneer being pressed @ 20" of mercury.

AS-01.jpg

AS-011.jpg

AS-012.jpg

The next few pix is 45 min later, the cold press glue is Rock hard, the shelves have been removed and the edges can now be flushed trimmed.

AS-013.jpg

AS-014.jpg

For those who may be wondering , the bit im using isnt your typical flush trim bit. A flush trim bit will work pretty good on most veneers but when it comes to Burls or any figured wood there is a good chance of tearout. This bit is a "Downward spiral" not an "Up spiral" w/ a bottom bearing. What this does, is as the bit cuts its cutting in a downward sheering motion which the veneer is supported by the substrate. An up spiral tend to want to try to "Lift" the unsupported veneer resulting in chipping or tearout.

The next 2 pix shows where the center of the hole has been located and punched through.

AS-015.jpg

AS-016.jpg

Next the router has been inserted w/ the same bit and the hole can be cut. In the last pix you can see the nylon bushing fits like a glove , ready for glueing in place once the shelf has been finished.

AS-017.jpg

AS-018.jpg

This last pix in this portion shows a common problem in working w/ burl. In all my yrs working w/ veneer I have yet to get in burls that I didnt have to deal w/ a hole somewhere in the burl. In the next few days Ill show you how I deal with this to achive a perfect match which will make this invisible.

AS-019.jpg

to be continued. R.K.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Looks great. Nice looking veneer. How do you keep the veneer from sliding around on the glue as your taking the air out of the bag? Or is that a problem with a vacuum press?

I really enjoy the work in process pics.

Tom Swortzel

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
Looks great. Nice looking veneer. How do you keep the veneer from sliding around on the glue as your taking the air out of the bag? Or is that a problem with a vacuum press?

I really enjoy the work in process pics.

Tom Swortzel

Tom if you will notice the blue tape on the veneer, I cut the veneer roughly 3/8ths oversize and when I vacuum the piece I vacuum w/ the veneer side down. That way you get the maxium use of the pressure especially on the edges. R.K.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Randall-

Awesome- that veneer is re-dic-ulous

What type of veneer system are you using?

Where do you get HDF? What are it's main benefits?

Is that the same burl you got from MckenzieDrums?

Is that one of those eagle america bits you were saying were so good?

Can't wait to see more pics-It looks like it's gonna be very cool

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
Randall-

Awesome- that veneer is re-dic-ulous

What type of veneer system are you using?

Where do you get HDF? What are it's main benefits?

Is that the same burl you got from MckenzieDrums?

Is that one of those eagle america bits you were saying were so good?

Can't wait to see more pics-It looks like it's gonna be very cool

Hey Man, hows it going. Youve got questions, ive got anwsers :gar-La;
1. If you mean which vacuum system im using its one I built myself from a kit I bought from joe woodworkers site. You can get different systems and I opted for the larger system. This sucker will pull down almost 6 cfm! No wondering if your glue is going to set up before the bag is under pressure.

2. Horizon forest products (my main supplier) The HDF is tougher, denser, (if thats a word) machines better, but it is a good bit heavier. I dont use it a lot but these shelves will be holding between 65 - 110 lb's so no sag is an issue.

3. No this veneer came from B&B rare woods, this stuff is beautiful !!! Im also building a pair of speakers as we speak which you guys will see soon that Im using his veneer on.

4.The bit is one of the ones we were talking about but not from Eagle, they came from MLSC and yes they work great. The bit in the pix cost me a little over $ 26.00 even if they were so-so bits I could still buy 3 of these for what one Whiteside would cost me. Give them a try, you'll like. Talk to you soon, Randall

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Randall do you remember the part number for the bit. I have been looking at the whitesides for routing guitar bodies but didn't want to spend the $80+ for one, especially since I'll only be build a few a year.

Hey Man, hows it going. Youve got questions, ive got anwsers :gar-La;
1. If you mean which vacuum system im using its one I built myself from a kit I bought from joe woodworkers site. You can get different systems and I opted for the larger system. This sucker will pull down almost 6 cfm! No wondering if your glue is going to set up before the bag is under pressure.

2. Horizon forest products (my main supplier) The HDF is tougher, denser, (if thats a word) machines better, but it is a good bit heavier. I dont use it a lot but these shelves will be holding between 65 - 110 lb's so no sag is an issue.

3. No this veneer came from B&B rare woods, this stuff is beautiful !!! Im also building a pair of speakers as we speak which you guys will see soon that Im using his veneer on.

4.The bit is one of the ones we were talking about but not from Eagle, they came from MLSC and yes they work great. The bit in the pix cost me a little over $ 26.00 even if they were so-so bits I could still buy 3 of these for what one Whiteside would cost me. Give them a try, you'll like. Talk to you soon, Randall

fergy

New User
Fergy
Hey Randall,

Do you have any issues with creep using the cold set glue? I've always used PPR for my stuff, even the flat panels. In fact, I just finished putting a 36x36 panel into the bag for a curved panel glue-up that I'm doing. I'm using a heating blanket to kick it a little faster in this weather. I'm having issues with the squeeze out mixing into the breather mesh and making it a nightmare to clean up.

And I still need to meet up with you to see those DVDs. :)

Regarding spiral bits, I use them as well, and that cost is definitely a killer. But you've got to remember that they are solid carbide, so it's a big chunk.

fergy

New User
Fergy
I also noticed that you're not using a top caul in the press to keep it really flat. It looks like you've got a piece of breather in the middle portion. Any issues just using the bag like that? I've always used a caul on top for my flat panels.

The rest of our setup looks the same. My stuff came from the same place. :)

Edit: I just noticed that you're probably only doing one face at a time, and the gluing face is down on a flat surface.

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
Randall do you remember the part number for the bit. I have been looking at the whitesides for routing guitar bodies but didn't want to spend the $80+ for one, especially since I'll only be build a few a year.

Scrool down the page MLCS solid carbide router bits

$29.95 price cant be beat and their solid carbide. Give them a shot I think you will be happy. I know I am and you can almost buy 3 of these for the price of 1 whiteside ! MLCS broke me of my whiteside habit a long time ago. :rotflm: R.K.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Scrool down the page MLCS solid carbide router bits

$29.95 price cant be beat and their solid carbide. Give them a shot I think you will be happy. I know I am and you can almost buy 3 of these for the price of 1 whiteside ! MLCS broke me of my whiteside habit a long time ago. :rotflm: R.K.

Thanks I'll take a look... Yeah I've seen several guys using those bits on guitars but the price was prohibitive but not at 29.95. :)

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
Hey Randall,

Do you have any issues with creep using the cold set glue? I've always used PPR for my stuff, even the flat panels. In fact, I just finished putting a 36x36 panel into the bag for a curved panel glue-up that I'm doing. I'm using a heating blanket to kick it a little faster in this weather. I'm having issues with the squeeze out mixing into the breather mesh and making it a nightmare to clean up.

And I still need to meet up with you to see those DVDs. :)

Regarding spiral bits, I use them as well, and that cost is definitely a killer. But you've got to remember that they are solid carbide, so it's a big chunk.

Are you refering to Veneer creep or curved panel creep? Veneer creep has never been an issue since I started using tite bond Cold Press and the main reason is it drys hard. Most people use yellow glue which never drys truly hard and can move when the veneer trys to expand and contract, I love this stuff once its down, its down. Now for my edges I use "Heat-Lock" all the way , by far one of the best product there is.

I dont worry about heat issues as I have a heated shop which is pretty nice on these cold days I must say and BTW you can stop by anytime you like, look forward to seeing you. R.K.

P.S. the MLCS bit are solid carbide also :icon_thum $29.95 as John Boy and Billy used to say " You need to get U summer dat"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors