Veneer Problem

ednl

ed
Senior User
So... I've done a few small veneer jobs using a lot of clamps all around the perimeter. Worked well. Never needed/wanted to invest a lot of $$$ in a vacuum system. But now I have a large single piece of veneer, 16x20. I'm hesitant to ask for help, i.e. use of a vacuum bag, because of this virus situation we're in. But I welcome any feedback/comments on this approach. I can still clamp all around the perimeter and then stack a whole bunch of weight, lead shot bags, across the middle. Of course that weight is only on one side of the panel. The underside, the balance veneer side, will be supported on a "tower" of platens to elevate the clamps off the benchtop. Do you think this will work? I'm pretty sure this is the largest veneer project I will ever do so I'm still hesitant to invest in a vacuum system.
Ed

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Have you considered using 3/4 plywood or MDF on the outside of each side and cauls to distribute the clamping pressure? I have done this with success. I put waxed paper between the plywood or MDF and the veneer sheets in case any glue bleeds through.

Woodmolds

Tony
User
So... I've done a few small veneer jobs using a lot of clamps all around the perimeter. Worked well. Never needed/wanted to invest a lot of $$$ in a vacuum system. But now I have a large single piece of veneer, 16x20. I'm hesitant to ask for help, i.e. use of a vacuum bag, because of this virus situation we're in. But I welcome any feedback/comments on this approach. I can still clamp all around the perimeter and then stack a whole bunch of weight, lead shot bags, across the middle. Of course that weight is only on one side of the panel. The underside, the balance veneer side, will be supported on a "tower" of platens to elevate the clamps off the benchtop. Do you think this will work? I'm pretty sure this is the largest veneer project I will ever do so I'm still hesitant to invest in a vacuum system.
Ed
Screenshot_2020-10-30 American Woodworker.png

Article Link: American Woodworker

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
I have 4 deep throat (12”) that work well. 4 of those in the
center and some around the perimeter do the trick.
If you don’t have the deep clamps and need lots of weight; make a jig to distribute weight about 1/3rd distance from the center and park your car on it! It’s a crazy idea, but I have actually done this, and it works.

bbrown

Bill
User
I do a lot of veneer work w/o a large vacuum system. I use the Roarokit system made for skateboards when veneering curved work, drawer fronts, etc. It's less than $100, and fits in a shoe box!
For larger sizes, I do exactly what Cuthriell and Woodmolds said. Slightly cantilevered cauls are the key.

johnd2

New User
John
The Roarokit vacuum bag system is pretty inexpensive and seems to work well. I'm a beginner with veneering and didn't want to spend a fortune on equipment, so far it seems to be working just great.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Are you using hide glue? Danmart77 does a lot of veneer work with large panels and I think he just uses a veneer hammer without a vacuum bag. How thick is your veneer?

Last edited:

Kelly

Kelly
User
I understand that you want to learn a good way, but if you are near, I will be happy to press it in my bag. I keep a small one set up on a shelf under my assembly table.
Any time.

SJWiehe

Steve
Corporate Member
I am in North Raleigh and have a vacuum system and bag and would be happy to help you. What is the size of the project you are trying to veneer?

My shop is large and I can open it up so it's very very well ventilated.

Steve

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS