veneer over quartersawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimist

New User
Joel
I'm building a large round table out of cherry. I found a pretty good deal on some quartersawn cherry that won't break my budget (too badly anyway). I'd originally dismissed the idea of doing any contrasting veneering to the top - like a medallion in the center or banding ("tiger" maple?) around the perimeter. But, I've read that in the good old days before plywood and mdf, that quartersawn was used as the core under veneer as it doesn't move laterally (as much). Does anyone have any recommendations, words of dis or encouragement for veneering on quartersawn? BTW, I've never veneered before so I need to keep it simple.

I'm also leery of the visual effect of the quartersawn cherry combined with the addition of the veneer - that the mostly straight rays of the quartersawn might be best left alone. Does anyone have any examples?

jmauldin

New User
Jim
QS is a good substrate for veneer. As you said, it doesn't move as much as other cuts. However, if it is beautiful grain QS have you considered using it that way? It is beautiful wood. Anyway, if you decide to veneer you should have no problems.
Jim in Mayberry

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
QS Cherry is way too beautiful to put veneer over. If you're going to use veneer, go w/ something less expensive, and beautiful, like plywood or MDF. Save the Cherry for the right project. Or better yet, I'll swap you some oak for the cherry. :gar-La;

Bill

optimist

New User
Joel
Thanks guys. Yeah, I wouldn't be veneering over the whole thing (if at all), just a little to accent it and add some contrasting color - a 2" band around the perimeter and maybe an 18" or so circle in the center. It's a very large top, just under 8 ft diameter. Once I have it laid out I can decide if it needs it but I'm thinking ahead for alternatives if it looks too monotone or stripey. It's good to have options but in the end I probably won't veneer it at all since that's just another opportunity for me to screw it up.

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
I do quite a bit of veneer work and I wouldnt recommend the QS. Even though you wont get much movement you can get movement . Plywood does pretty good but can bow and in some instances twist, the bowing and twisting usually comes from not veneering both sides (which is important , use a cheaper veneer on the bottom). But all in all MDF is hard to beat. In the good ol'days as you stated they didnt have the luxury of some of the materials we have today and the quality of the work reflects it. BTW , good book to read Fergy. R.K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS