Vacuum Veener Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Folks,
After cleaning up the workshop, I have finally collected all necessary items to build a vacuum veneer press. It will be loosely based on the 'joewoodworker.com' design. So here is my question: Has anyone build one of his systems? And how was the outcome?

I have a couple of pumps (Edwards 8 and a couple of Welch pumps) that were used as rough pumps on a mass spectrometer. So capacity, durability or vacuum should not be a problem. Planning to use a air
tank as a vacuum reservoir for quicker evacuation.

I like to build a flip top table using a torsion box as a table top to keep things absolutely flat. I think a flip top may be easier to use than a bag when working alone.

Is anyone out there veneering? Any advice, hints, comments will be appreciated.

Bernhard

woodguy1975

New User
John
I built mine from a continous duty vacuum motor that I bought off of Surplus Center - Hydraulic Equipment Electric Motors. It pulls 6 cfm so evacuation isn't much of a problem.

I have large 4x8 bag I use with a bottom plattent and then cauls cut specific for the size of the panel. It works well to me, but working with a large bag on your own can be tough. For seal I use a couple of boards and clamps. It works fine. I left my bag evacuated with the pump off for 2 days and the vacuum held.

Good Luck,

John

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
I built mine from a continous duty vacuum motor that I bought off of Surplus Center - Hydraulic Equipment Electric Motors. It pulls 6 cfm so evacuation isn't much of a problem.

I have large 4x8 bag I use with a bottom plattent and then cauls cut specific for the size of the panel. It works well to me, but working with a large bag on your own can be tough. For seal I use a couple of boards and clamps. It works fine. I left my bag evacuated with the pump off for 2 days and the vacuum held.

Good Luck,

John

John,

What kind of glue are you using? Is your bag polyurethane or vinyl?

Thanks,
Bernhard

woodguy1975

New User
John
I bought my bag off Ebay a long time ago. It's the typical vinyl, but works just fine. I typically use plastic resin glue for veneering, but regular yellow glue works just fine too. I like PRG for it's lack of creep for most glueups. The veneer glues that they sell at veneering supplies is a typical yellow glue with some thickeners to prevent bleed through or PRG, but I've never had a problem with yellow glue bleeding through. Typically I resaw my own veneers though and they are usually 1/16" thick.

Good Luck, Veneering is a fun way to step things up. On my list is a federal game table aimed at improving my veneering and inlay skills. :)

Good Luck,

John

rhett

New User
rhett
I would love to see how your flip top design works out Bernard. I use a 54" sq poly-vinyl bag. Loading the bag alone can be quite cumbersome.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Well, I am making some progress. Got a 5 gal portable air tank from HF this morning and will use it as a vacuum reservoir. Everything is plumbed an dconnected. Edwards 8 pump, 5 gal reservoir (air tank), vacuum gauge, pressure controler with relief valve. It should suck the chrome of a trailer hitch.
Tomorrow I plan to start on the torsion box for the flip top table.

Cheers
Bernhard

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
As soon as bag has been deflated (under vacumm), isolate the tank from system. This way you wont have to vacumm out accumilated air from tank.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
As soon as bag has been deflated (under vacumm), isolate the tank from system. This way you wont have to vacumm out accumilated air from tank.

Don't know if I have to worry about that, I got a vacuum pump designed to run 24/7. But I did incorporate some of the design ideas fro Joewoodworker.com; so the system will actually cycle on a 4in/Hg increase in pressure.

Funny thing, it is much easier to plumb a system for vacuum then for pressure, basically most everything is selfsealing when sucking things in.

Bernhard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS