Vacuum Press

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Hey folks, I do small piece veneering (mostly for boxes) and I'm using a modified book press. I was wondering if anyone has used the hand-pumped vacuum press with any success?

I recently saw a YouTube video that recommended a space bag product as an alternative to a full-blown vacuum setup. Here's a pic of the product that was recommended. Any insight is appreciated.

1634388331841.png

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Many WEB endorsements for the skateboard press, but not seem many on the space-saver bags. I am actually looking for a heavier bag to use with my vacuum pump. They seem terribly high priced.

For small stuff, I was thinking my air pillow bag might work very well as it will contour to the shape.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Learn to use a veneer hammer and hide glue. No bags required. If you look in the Resources section you will find a good build sequence for this table and some veneer info.
1-walnut table May 010.JPG

1-walnut table May 012.JPG

1-16 may doors and back covers 015.JPG

This is a chest that I veneered the entire front of the cabinet with a veneer hammer.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Thea would work for furniture, and I do intend to do so on my next speaker build as it has been reliable for a few hundred years, but my current project is a Triumph dashboard where I have to deal with extreme temperature and humidity swings. I do not believe hide glue will hold up. Powered resin or epoxy by my research.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Tom McLauflin of Epic Woodworking frequently uses the skate board bag setup and gets consistently good results. You can find the episode on his website or YouTube.
Bob

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

BKHam

Bradley
User
consider me an endorsement of the Roarockit products. i have a two bags i use quite a bit. I know its a budget system so i'm not expecting the easiest or most luxury in usage.

good notes:
-the small bag is awesome partly because the air to pump out of it is not that high (thus less elbow grease needed)
-been quite durable over multiple usages including curved parts, not just panels

some annoying aspects:
-the reusable tape for closure - works okay but is a bit messy so i bought a C-channel type closure
-i had to build a platen - no biggie
-the large bad can take quite a bit of pumping to clear the air
-the bag has stretched a little with some of the curved stuff i've done
-requires a little attention to ensure you get a good seal and don't lose pressure

some pictures of curved items and panels i've done in it
20210507_131942.jpg
20211014_083453.jpg
20201025_073342.jpg

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS