Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have a disc/ belt sander combo, similar to this one:
81T1WND08BL._SL1500_.jpg

I have to change discs frequently, because I can only use the top part of the abrasive - the table blocks the bottom half. Obviously this is a design flaw in the tool (although they all seem to have this). I could cut the discs in half of course, but that's a lot of work. Any companies sell half discs, or can I modify the tool to get around this problem?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Also, roughly half my brad nails have the head on the bottom instead of the top, but I suppose that question should go in a different forum.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Hmmm, have you thought about turning the whole sander upside down and resting it on the belt? It's not a complete solution but you should be able to use at least some of the unused half of the disk. It would also make it easier to sand the left side of the work. Can't help with the brad problem. About half my brads have the same issue.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I haven't had your problem with the sanding disks or brads, but I did have a similar problem with framing nails. I found many had the head on the wrong end and I was throwing them away until a more experienced carpenter told me they go on the other side of the house. Saved me a lot of money.

Roy G

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I buy all my framing nails in those handy coils. That way all the heads are facing the same way. Easy to carry them around but they can be difficult to remove from the coil to use. I guess no solution is perfect.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
they are called 2 in 1 disks. you use up the top half then turn the disk 1/2 turn and use up the other side. thats why it turns! I thought everybody knew this.......

oh and I have the same problem with brads. the upside down ones are for nailing over head.:roll:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
What am I s'poze to do about my table saw blade? :dontknow:
And when I want a snack I hafta throw away all the W's, E's & 3's in my M & M's........

charlie jones

New User
Charlie
I have the same problem with my chisels. the handle is on the wrong end about half the time. I just bought 2 sets and if one is turned the wrong way I use the other set!

nn4jw

New User
Jim
What am I s'poze to do about my table saw blade? :dontknow:
And when I want a snack I hafta throw away all the W's, E's & 3's in my M & M's........

Seems kind of random which way the teeth face, doesn't it? Wish they'd standardize those things.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Try marking up your project with a pencil that had the eraser on the wrong end.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I haven't had your problem with the sanding disks or brads, but I did have a similar problem with framing nails. I found many had the head on the wrong end and I was throwing them away until a more experienced carpenter told me they go on the other side of the house. Saved me a lot of money.

Roy G

Yes. I learned this trick from watching an episode of "The Three Stooges." Very educational program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS