Using the Stanley 12 1/2 Veneer Scraper

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
In a previous thread (here) I posted about using my Stanley 112 scraper plane to smooth a veneered surface. Seems Stanley had a lengthy fascination with how to improve the humble scraper. Prior to the 112 they had a line of veneer scrapers, beginning with the Stanley 12 (guessing they saw the 112 as a continuation of this line and updated the number). This line begins with the Stanley 12 (circa 1869), then came the 12 1/2 (1905), the 12 1/4 (1912) and last the 12 3/4 (1928). These continued in production until around WWII. You can read more about them here.

In addition to the 112 I happen to also own a 12 1/2. I picked it up a few years ago at the State Flea Market here in Raleigh. It was in fairly rough shape, but cleaned up nicely. It has a beautiful Rosewood handle and sole. The main difference between the 12 and 12 1/2 is the latter has a wooden sole. I'm sure this is to reduce the chance of scratching the surface. It can also be replaced if it wears out.

Building on my prior success with the 112 at cleaning up a veneered surface, I decided to give the 12 1/2 a try since it's billed specifically as a veneer scraper. I have to say it lives up to the name. I found it to be easier to manage for this activity, especially when pulled versus pushed.

IMG_2403.jpg

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
How do you sharpen the blade?
It's the same blade as you find in the 112. It's filed to a 30 degree primary bevel and then the "hook" is added. @danmart77 posted a link here previously. It's worth reposting:

The pictures alone are worth the view. Suffices to say, mine doesn't produce the shavings shown in his pictures ;-). I'm thinking about upgrading to the thicker LN blade. I've tried their version of the 112 and the thick blade cuts down on the chatter.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
It's the same blade as you find in the 112. It's filed to a 30 degree primary bevel and then the "hook" is added. @danmart77 posted a link here previously. It's worth reposting:

The pictures alone are worth the view. Suffices to say, mine doesn't produce the shavings shown in his pictures ;-). I'm thinking about upgrading to the thicker LN blade. I've tried their version of the 112 and the thick blade cuts down on the chatter.

You might try the Ron Hock blade in your 112

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS