using scrap wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

thsb

New User
Tim
I have burned so many small pieces of good looking wood that i finally decided i needed to use them somehow. I also needed a distraction from finishing another project so i started gluing up pieces after cutting all of them 7/8 wide and either 12 or 36 inches long. I should have been more patient gluing them up but did the whole board all at once which created cupping and ultimately led to about a 5/8 thickness which got me worried about strength for the shelves. To counter that i used some QSRO which was too warped and bent to effectively use for much.

anyway it is a little whimsical but i will use it in my office and be reminded of all the different wood projects that have made it through the shop.

2014-07-25 08.08.35.jpg2014-07-25 08.08.44.jpg

llucas

luke
Senior User
Now THAT is a great idea! I am stealing that....and cleaning out my cutoff bin...Thanks for the idea.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Really eclectic piece, but good use of otherwise scrap material. I like it.

Reminds me of a flat work version of a segmented turning.

Truefire

New User
Chris
OH my goodness, You actually burn scraps like that? shame on you. ....Box that stuff up anytime, shoot me an email and I'll buy it from you - anytime. Goodness sake that is some beautiful wood.

You did well...VERY nice looking shelving unit. That looks like about $400 sell right there without that time put into it.

Chris

thsb

New User
Tim
Truefire,
with limited space, the cutoffs go into a corner bin that i have for later use. when it starts overflowing there just isn't anywhere for them to go....

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I am with Chris. I hate to get rid of "scrap" wood. One man's scrap is another man's treasure.
I've always got room for cut offs if anyone needs some room!

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I really like that shelf, regardless of the origin of the materials.

As for scrap, I just "triaged" mine-
trash
burn
potential building blocks for grand kids
potentially useful building or turning material

The trash is gone and I got a 27 gallon tote full of each of the last three levels and realized I had no space for "new" scraps.
Good thing the totes were on sale at HD.
And they stack nicely.

Now the question is what's the half life for burn to decay into trash and potential blocks into fuel?

thsb

New User
Tim
great question. i still have a lot of little cutoffs and i thought that they would make great kindling presents to a few friends this winter. but i have to hold them for a few months, and i might want to create a little thing to hold them......so it is never simple.

i think the potential blocks will become fuel much quicker than the burn will become trash....just because burning is so #### satisfying.

a fire and a beer(s) can keep me entertained for hours, and a little kiln dried hardwood seems to get it going very hot pretty quickly.

Volksdad

New User
Glen
Reminds me of the furniture made by laminating sawn strips of plywood into boards. I like it! Once you make boards like this, you can build all sorts of interesting projects...

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice. How about bringing it to the Showcase on Sept 6. It would be inspirational to a lot of folks

thsb

New User
Tim
Phil, will be out of town but sounds like fun. if you are serious i could do this again and do a better job so i would feel comfortable showing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS