Using/renting time at a Lathe in or around Wake County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmsteck

New User
Thomas
Hello all,
I have a bit of turning experience working with my grandfather in Virginia, and I was hoping to work on a project or two here in NC. However, my searches for open workshops have turned up fairly short in terms of cost and access (*See below)

So, I decided I would ask the community about what they know, or if they have any advice for me. I've seen a few mentions of people with shops here on the forum, but I haven't been able to find out any more than that. It's quite possible what I am looking for is totally unreasonable, but so far the only options I can find would be only slightly cheaper than buying a lower end lathe--which again, would be much more than I would like to/be able to spend on perhaps a few gifts for family.

Thank you for any feedback you have,
Thomas

(The Cary Arts Center has some nice programs and a very reasonable open studio but access to the studio is restricted to those who have taken a class, of which none are really open until mid March, and there would still be an $80+ payment before I can rent time; The Maker's Space runs at $15-20 an hour, which is far beyond what I can reasonably spend, especially not really knowing how long a project will take--I am a high school student, so I don't have hundreds to spend--and the NC State Craft center runs on a semester basis, requiring either a $100+ class--with limited spots--or a $150 membership fee)

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I might be able to help. It depends on when you want to do this. I have a modest shop in NE Raleigh

barnes

New User
barnes
Check out Splatspace in Durham. They have a fairly well outfitted, but not the most organized. I know there is a full size lathe, but I'm not sure of its condition, chucks or tools available. It is reasonable inexpensive ($20/month to access the space when other members are available. I'm a full time member and want to start organizing and working in their shop.) plus you get access to a small CNC, laser cutter, 3D printer, etc.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
There is a similar place to the Durham location mentioned above that is in Raleigh. They are members here and posted not too long ago, 3-4 months ago maybe, but I cannot find it or recall the name of the place. You might do some searching and find that post for another option.

barnes

New User
barnes
'The Maker's Space' in Raleigh certainly looks well outfitted, but a different price bracket thank Splatspace. I haven't seen this space in person, so I'm only going off of their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS