Using Poplar outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
LOML wants to spruce up the front porch, I happen to have a fair amount of popular available...
What I'm trying to figure out is if pop is a good wood to use outdoors...
Will it need special attention/painting to extend it's life ect
Thanks for any and all advice
Gary
Currently stuck in N.J. and building my own honey-do list :)

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
The heartwood is pretty resistant to rot but the sapwood is not.

I would treat it with Kilz and paint it or use Thompson's water seal to help it stand up to the moisture outside.

Hey Mike...
Hate to sound ignorant, but is the green or the light color heartwood?
I'm pretty far away from my shed so i can't walk down there and figure out the grain patterning :roll:

and i do plan on painting the wood....

Thanks again
Gary

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Thanks for the info Mike
Do you feel that sapwood will be ok as long as i paint it...
Gary

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I haven't used it out doors, but from what I have heard, it shouldn't be as it has very little rot resistance. My .02.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Any wood not treated and left to the harsh devices of the elements will not last long in our climate.

The only wood I know of that could withstand a nuclear blast and still be here in a 100 years is locust. Still have fence posts from a 100 years ago on the farm.

Wood will last like a great hand tool if taken care of properly.

J

jeff...

Any wood not treated and left to the harsh devices of the elements will not last long in our climate.

The only wood I know of that could withstand a nuclear blast and still be here in a 100 years is locust. Still have fence posts from a 100 years ago on the farm.

Wood will last like a great hand tool if taken care of properly.

Nuclear blast hu? maybe that's why black locust glows in the dark under a black light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS