Using different wood types together

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I have decided to make several jewelry boxes for family members. Although they will be basically the same size, I want to incorporate different wood types. In other words, the boxes will not be strictly walnut, cherry, oak or cedar. I have made some drink coasters using three of these together and it looked fine. But they were small 3 1/2 by 3 1/2 and not really complicated. My concern is if I glue these types together into approximate 20-inch boards are there any issues that may come into play that I am not aware of? Maybe be a dumb question but I don't know. Cedar only for the inside btw.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The intended environment for these boxes will be in a climate controlled area (heated and air conditioned). If your shop environment is close, there should be no problems.
The wonderful phrase "coefficient of linear expansion" would be a consideration if the boxes were subject to large changes in humidity. Some woods expand and contract more than others. With small pieces, this movement may be so trivial as to not ever cause a problem. Keeping the grain running in the same direction will help.

Seeing the design will help others reading this thread.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I have not “designed them“ as of yet, because I was concerned if there would be issues. When I say designed, I mean how I will place together. I have been looking for other projects and not found that many, hence the concern. I will post a picture of the coasters. As an example.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
1E5D5C7A-CC8E-46F2-9B82-08C5615C9882.jpeg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
"My concern is if I glue these types together into approximate 20-inch boards are there any issues that may come into play that I am not aware of?"

Oak, cherry, and walnut boards (about 6.5" w) glued together to make one 20" wide board? Will this board be cut into smaller pieces for the jewelry boxes? It would be helpful to give the very rough dimensions of each of the jewelry boxes that you're thinking of. The boxes will have cedar inside but not in the exterior boards?

Don't worry about how you'll put them together at this point.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
This is basically the design I intend on using, with the box joints. And yes the longer boards will be cut, imagine the "coaster picture" as a 20x6x3/4 board.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
This is basically the design I intend on using, with the box joints. And yes the longer boards will be cut, imagine the "coaster picture" as a 20x6x3/4 board.

The front face of the box in your picture is 20"l x 6" tall? Your coaster has 5 strips of wood (2 walnut, 2 cherry, and 1 oak).

I'm still confused about your design.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Robert, if the coaster were imagined to be a board, if you used it for the four sides, each side would expand at the same rate so the whole box would not be subjected to differential stresses.

Roy G

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
No problem using different woods. You'll have to be very careful lining up the sides to keep the woods aligned and you may end up with some 'pins' ends that are two toned. I'd glue up some scraps to see if you like it using box joints.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS