Using Choice of Finish When Sanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I read somewhere in my site surfing about a week ago that someone used their choice of finish when sanding and it created sort of a slurry and it gave awesome results..I forgot where I read this..Anyone ever tried it? How did you do it? Use it on turned items somehow w/o making a mess?

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Mike,

I often use 400 grit wet/dry during the application of the first coat after the seal coat. I typically sand the work to 220 before the seal coat. I started doing this because it is actually the can instructions on a poly-oil finish called Velvit Oil. I have only used this technique on cherry and the results were very good.

bobby g

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
Greg Paolini showed us this in his finishing class and it works very well. I used it whenever I can.....

terry1166

New User
Terry
I've wet sanded Sapele with boiled linseed oil and 320 wet/dry paper to fill the grain prior to sealing with shellac and finishing with gloss lacquer. Works great.

Terry

BSHuff

New User
Brian
when I am using an oil finish like a tung oil or waterlox I 'scrub' the first several coats in with a grey synthetic steel wool. I gives me a real nice smoothness on the wood and will eaven out the film on the surface. It also will ease some edges slightly, so dont over scrub or dont ease edges as much before you start. I will take a ball of lint free rags and wrap it in a flat rag and tie it back to ride on top of the grey pad, soak the ball in oil and scrub away

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Mike,
I responded to your post last week with that suggestion. GP uses a combo of 3 parts paint thinner or mineral spirits , 2 parts polyurethane ,anr 1 part BLO with Pure Tung Oil as a substitute for the BLO. Flood the surface and start with 400 grit.Apply several coats ,wiping the excess after each coat and be very carefull with your rags after your done.BLO soaked rags are not to be left laying around.Good Luck,
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS