Used Chainsaws

Wcutrout

New User
Matt
I’m looking to purchase a lightly used chainsaw in the near future. I have a small 14” bar Stihl that I’ve had for 5 years and works great. I bought it new and have had no issues. I’m looking to buy a bigger saw with a 20” bar to clear some bigger trees on my property. I don’t need to buy new as it will see a little use then probably be used very sparingly. As someone who knows very little about chainsaws can you shed some light on what I should be looking for, especially warning signs of a used and abused saw?
Or if you have one or know of one for sale please let me know.
Thanks!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
It would be hard to determine abuse on a chainsaw Id say. I think about all you can look for is severe bar wear, lots of missing paint, heavy burrs on the edges, bluing burned bar etc. If Im unsure about something like that, if you get the chance, look at other equipment a person has around and see how they seem to treat it, old habits as they say.... But, Sticking with one of the better Brands like Stihl and Husqvarna should be key Id say IMO. For that size I would look for a Stihl Farmboss. They handle a large bar and have plenty of power.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I might be concerned, needing a 20 incher implies some very large trees and the danger goes up considerably. Sure you want to do that?

I noticed the pros mostly use Husq. I would say it it starts easily when cold, you are good.

TracerRound

Larry
Corporate Member
This doesn't answer your question but you can also rent a 20in saw from HD or Sunbelt for about $70 a day. Some rental places will let you rent over the weekend for a one day charge for items without an hour meter. If you can plan ahead the infrequent use it may work out for you. At least you would have recourse if there is issues with it.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
As mentioned, be very cautious buying a used chainsaw. Lots of times any damage is not obvious. The chainsaw may look nice and well cared for and may start and run fine for short time under no load. Unless you can test it (compression, bore scope for scoring and running it ~20min under load, etc.), I would stay away from used chainsaws.
Good luck,
Bernhard

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Would second the above, and say that while I would certainly buy other used tools - a chainsaw is one of the few tools I will only buy new. I learned that lesson 10+ years ago buying a "very clean looking" Stihl 032AV that crapped out the first time I used it - and when taken to my local small engine guy, showed a severely scored piston, etc. Initial purchase price + repair was well more than buying the equivalent new Stihl. You may get lucky, and YMMV, but for me, buy a good new one, and you'll have it for the rest of your life w/ a little basic maintenance.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Look for, find and join a chainsaw group on Facebook. Read lots of posts and get educated. Most chainsaw small engine repairs can be made by owner if at all adept. (I wasnt though... lol) But I did find a local guy to repair mine. I bought the parts and he fixed it.

The small engine shop charged me $50 to tell it wasnt worth repairing. Lots of the guys in those groups buy dead saws and make them like new and offer some good deals.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have bought all my saws at pawn shops.

For a 20" saw, you likely can't go wrong with a Husqvarna. The "Rancher" is probably a good choice, if you can find one.
Stihl is a good second choice, but the name recognition allows the shops to charge more even though the Husq is as good, maybe better and has a rabid following
1. look for burn on the bar. (that means the previous owner didn't take care of it and likely ran it without bar oil) steer clear.
2. If it is dirty, it likely was used and abused, doesn't mean it is NOT a good saw, but just an indicator...
3. if it is "SUPER CLEAN" someone likely cleaned-up a saw that was giving them trouble, and as long as it started, the pawn shop or used dealer took it in, as @Bernhard said, you need to be able to run it for a period of time under load to ensure it works well... and likely you will not be able to do that at a pawn shop and most of them do not offer a return policy on gas engine products!

SO, if you can find a small engine guy, tell him what you need and he might have one that needs a little light work or have a source where you can get a used saw resonably prices and pay him a little bit to check it out for you!

Wcutrout

New User
Matt
Everyone, thanks so much for the response. This is loaded with good information for me to chew on for a bit while I decide on what to do.

teesquare

T
Senior User
Not available in stores - but Lowe's on line has the Husky Rancher 460 - which comes with a 24" bar. It is my must used saw. In my area - Stihl is the No.# 1 brand among tree surgeons and tree-cutting trades. But the price for Stihl is excessive for me. And to it irks me seriously....there is a Chinese brand that is a part for part knock-off of the larger Stihl and Husqvarna saw called Holzfarma or Farmtec. The prices are about 20-25% of the cost of a Stihl - and they perform well. I don't know about durability, but I have been using one for over a year and it starts and runs reliably thus far. Knowing that I can get parts for it locally helps aswage my frustration about the huge price disparity swaying me into buying one.....

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I've got the Echo 18" - bought years ago at Home Depot and a Husky 455 24" I bought a few years back at Lowes. I'd buy either of them again for HOME use - I heat our home with wood cut from our property. Both saws came with warranties (5yr/3Yr respectively) I never used (nor paid extra for). Home Depot did swap out the Echo CS 400 when the primer bubble broke and they could not sell me a replacement - I'm a good complainer!

If I charged myself $35 for every day I used either of these saws I would guess they have paid for themselves several times over. Though I use them weekdays and weekends whenever the spirit moves me and the lean is right so I should charge me more!

The Husky's a whopping difference from the little Echo. It needs that compression release (though I'm older than I was and may not have needed it when I was twenty and working in an office) and easily handles 20"+ caliper Oak.

I'd buy a couple cans of pre-mixed fuel. When empty, paint the one Yellow and the other Red and fill them with Bar Chain oil and Home Mixed Fuel - much easier to carry to the log and to pour into the respective tanks w/o the need for a funnel.

Great WW Project, build a platform to hold your CS, sqwrench, axe and the cans, above, fitted to your 4 x 4 - makes it easy to remember to bring all your stuff into the woods.
1642011774132.gif

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
As for Echo, their yard products are excellent. I have head their chain saws are good, but if going with a larger saw, you may want top look at parts/accessories availability. With Stihl, you can get rim drives to replace sprocket drives, a variety of chain types, as well as a better selection of bars, and full service dealers are widespread in NC.

Another tip: Flip the bar over about every other chain sharpening, and you will get longer and more even wear out of it. (That goes for about any chainsaw).

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
" look at parts/accessories availability"

Right arm! Years ago I got a Sears Bandsaw from the wife - only to discover that, while it had an interesting tilt and lovely table, lots of folks didn't bother stocking blades that fit the thing. I sold it and got a Porter Cable 14" saw - alas, long after they stopped making them like they used to!

With the Echo, however, one can get all manner of necessary bits and pieces and quite a few superfluous items like a warming jacket. see ereplacementparts (www) or Amazon even:
1642019397917.png

Cheaper than sharpening them!

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Accessorize with one of the Stihl chain files. Takes ~5 mins to sharpen a chain if that much. They make the files to fit the chain not the brand. Alignment is intuitive (read that easy).

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Accessorize with one of the Stihl chain files. Takes ~5 mins to sharpen a chain if that much. They make the files to fit the chain not the brand. Alignment is intuitive (read that easy).
I bought one - seems to be the biggest waste of money in recent memory...
file does not get into the gullet of the tooth!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I bought one - seems to be the biggest waste of money in recent memory...
file does not get into the gullet of the tooth!
Stihl has different size files, down to the 1/64th inch diameter difference. For their chains, the correct size file is listed on the box, however, for other makers chains, its just a matter of seeing what size is required.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors