Upholstered rocking chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Reeves

New User
John Reeves
I am refurbishing a circa 1920 rocking chair made by Biggs or Briggs in Richmond. I have dissembled all of the joints, made the internal prices and kept the Cuban Mahogany.
The seat is made with coil springs. I have tied the bottom and secured them in place.

Should I also tie the tops? )They were not tied when I took the chair apart.) Or will the next layers hold the springs in place as they will be compressed a bit.

showphoto.php

2008_09110001.JPG

Thanks John

Last edited by a moderator:

John Reeves

New User
John Reeves
Buddy,

Thanks but I still need more help. The bottom of the springs so I need to secure the top (8 ways) by tying. Do I compress them? If so, how much? and how? The 8 way tying seems to be for lateral support. Is it also for tensioning the spring?

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
John,

MY FIL was a very good upholsterer and I have watched him some even helped tear a few chairs down for him. He always tied the tops of the springs and I think he tensioned them enough to make them a little firm and to shape the seat properly. I wish I could ask him but he is not with us anymore.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
John - it's been such a long time since I messed with coil spring upholstery. But yes tie each spring to it's row partner front to back then each spring in each row to the spring in the row next to it. The trick is to get a nice firm level square for the padding to lay over. I've seen the springs compressed many different ways but it seems the best way was to tie the to the bottom of the same spring in at least 3 locations around the spring.

BTW you know this is old school and your cover will wear out long before your springs will.

John scratch what I said because I don't even understand it :)

Here is a picture ---> http://www.mbuinteriors.com/default_files/8way.htm

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
John,
If you pull up the picture jeff link's to, you will notice a wire running around the top. I don't see this in your application. The outside edge of the springs are usally attached with "hog clips" to this wire. Did you tear down the upholster or are you starting from scratch. If you are starting from scratch, you might want to consider pirelli webing. It's not as difficult a learning curve as the 8 way hand tied springs. The thickness of your cushion can help with seat ht. issues. Just be careful when you stretch the webbing if you choose to go that route.

John Reeves

New User
John Reeves
Buddy,

These are the original springs that I removed as I took the chair apart. They were only tied with Jute at the bottom. Nothing at the top. I think that whomever "fixed" it last just did not do it correctly.

So far, I have found out that I am over my head in this step.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS