Upholstered Furniture Building Help

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I'm looking into building my own customer sized to fit sofa/couch w/ large ottoman (with top opening for storage) for our future home. We don't want to pay $4k+, I've found a local upholster but need to know frame construction methodologies. I've searched this forum as well as LumberJocks and YouTube but there's just not much info at all for this type of furniture build. I saw one thread that mentions plans in Fine Woodworking but that doesn't help me as I do not have a subscription and mine will be custom fit but I am looking for "in general" input per below:

• Anyone on this forum with upholstered build experience (sofas, opening ottomans, ideally lazy boy type chair as well) ?
  • Is it even worth it financially ? Would I really save a lot over a good name brand piece (that's now made overseas and likely lower quality)...I want something to last unlike Rooms To Go or Ashley Furniture types
  • Anyone have typical measurements (sofa vs ottoman vs lazy boy type recliner chair) for things like:
    • heights for base framing front & back
    • angles for seat backs
    • curve radius for arm supports
    • hardware - pocket screws, leg lift mechanisms (if I go this route), reclining mechanisms (if I go this route), I assume the suspension system can be installed by the upholster as it looks like it takes special tools & it looks to be an art to it
    • typical wood types to use (i.e where plywood of what type vs pine vs hardwood)

Many thanks in advance !

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I found this frame build. It may give you a good starting point

Thanks for the video. This is the best one I’ve found as well but unfortunately I do not really get enough detail to have confidence for the build myself. I did see their email address was provided so maybe they’d be willing to offer up some answers to my bullet puts above. All they could do is so no or not answer.

I’ll also search for books on this subject, which I’ve not yet done either.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
One thought is to buy an old couch from an estate sale or second hand shop similar to what you want and then remove the fabric to see how the frame is constructed. You could take detailed measurements that way. Of course you might then be tempted to re-upholster the old one ;-).

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
One thought is to buy an old couch from an estate sale or second hand shop similar to what you want and then remove the fabric to see how the frame is constructed. You could take detailed measurements that way. Of course you might then be tempted to re-upholster the old one ;-).
Ha ha ha yeah that's a good thought

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS