Updating an outdoor bench

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
One of my wife's sisters left this with me a couple of years ago, to do whatever I wanted. After walking around it and moving it every time I wanted to get something from that area, I finally decided to start working on it. It has lots of ornate casting in the back panel of sunflowers and vines, plus castings in the side legs. It's rusting over some, so I'll be sandblasting with an attachment to my pressure washer.

I got some cypress from Steve Wall Lumber this summer that I've milled to 2.5" wide.

20200930_192234.jpg 20200930_192338.jpg 20200930_192346.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I redid a similar metal bench for a friend of mine several years ago. We also used cypress for the slats. His bench had several slats across the entire back. We used stainless steel bolts etc to fasten the slats to the steel frame.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
So, several months later, i have finished the bench. Two coats of grey enamel for the metal i sandblasted. Two coats of spar urethane for the cypress. (We'll move it up to the pool deck once the urethane dries good.)

20210608_161507.jpg

20210608_161600.jpg
20210608_161514.jpg

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Funny - I did the same job 2 weeks ago.
2 benches and a small table.
I used red cedar and finished with Odie's Oil.

Attachments

• After.png
    After.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
  • Before.png
    Before.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 105

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks all. That back panel is a beast, weighing around 25 lbs by itself.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I have a similar bench project slowly progressing. One detail on my bench is that there is a metal strap midway on the seat slats that ties them all together. Keeps them acting as a unit and makes sure that you don't get one warping more than the others.

Roy G

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep. I have that too Roy, plus the 2 lateral straps from legs to bottom of one slat. Photos did not show these too well.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS