Updated Marketplace Policy

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Currently, members that have wood/wood products for sale a posted in the general 'Wood' section, Effective 11/6/2022, a new section will be enabled in the Marketplace named 'Wood for Sale'. As with the 'For Sale/Wanted' section, members will have to be at minimum 'User' status. New Users will not be allowed to post there until they have met the requirements for 'User' status.

If New Users post to the general 'Wood' section, their post will be deleted and the members warned that post is in violation of the policy.

https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?resources/ncww-marketplace-policies.104/

This action is being implemented to retain members for the longer term rather than joining to sell a few pieces of wood and never have any further interactions with our active members. Our charter is one of education and knowledge transfer, not profit-making for individual members.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I don't really understand the need for this policy. Please educate me.

Say someone who has no interest in woodworking has inherited some tools and/or wood and wants to sell the stuff.
They can't post here so they post on Craigslist, FaceBook Marketplace, Nextdoor, etc.
Then someone here sees the ads and posts in the Found For Sale - Hot deals forum.
What's the difference? And what's wrong with someone just wanting to get rid of some wood or tools without getting involved with NCWW on a long-term basis?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't really understand the need for this policy. Please educate me.

Say someone who has no interest in woodworking has inherited some tools and/or wood and wants to sell the stuff.
They can't post here so they post on Craigslist, FaceBook Marketplace, Nextdoor, etc.
Then someone here sees the ads and posts in the Found For Sale - Hot deals forum.
What's the difference? And what's wrong with someone just wanting to get rid of some wood or tools without getting involved with NCWW on a long-term basis?
Pete,
This may be just my opinion, but...
We are hoping to attract and keep "good" members of the forum. (active posters and people interested in teaching, learning and showing what they do.
Quoting Neal: "This action is being implemented to retain members for the longer term"

I think CL, NCWW FB, (or FB in general) and Nextdoor are all good places for someone who doesn't want to commit to the NCWW forum.
If a member here see something and shares it, cool, it benefits the membership.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Being new here, my opinion might be in the minority... but I would LOVE to see wood and such for sale from folks who just create an account to sell. Seems that while yes, you may not retain them (a policy can be made to disable inactive accounts if needed) they may be selling cheap or simply dont know what they have. Perhaps a family member passed and had a bunch of stuff or they are just getting out of the hobby/craft. Seems like that win for members here would negate the possibility of forced retention of members.
.02c

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Quoting Neal: "This action is being implemented to retain members for the longer term"
OK, but how does barring people from selling tools on a one-time basis help retain members?
It seems to me that it would be more likely to discourage a new member from staying around.
If they were allowed to post they might look around and decide it's a worthwhile place and stick around.
On the other hand, if they were undecided they might think that joining here is too much of a hassle and never bother to check us out.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
The policy change only affects the sale of wood. Tools and machinery were already subject to these settings.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Maybe we're creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. The forum is very active in many categories and I don't see that changing. I can see that someone might create an account just to offload some tools/lumber they have inherited, but what better place to do it. It's a win-win IMHO. They get a quick sale and we get a good deal.

Perhaps what we need is a "guest" user category for those only interested in selling a few items.

Last edited:

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
For what it's worth, I agree with Pete and Jim - there seems to be a dedicated and active core membership. So allowing someone to "drop in" and sell a few things to the benefit of our membership, seems to be a smart move. And, as pointed out, they may stay. If not, no harm, no foul.

My 3 cents (inflation)....

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS