UPDATED ** Cutting boards weeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I made cutting boards for a few members of my family this year for Christmas. I read a lot about finishing them and decided to go with the simple mineral oil approach. However, me being me... I decided to amp it up a little.

Most everything I read stated to heat the oil to allow better penetration of the oil and then give the board a good soaking until I started to see some oil come through the bottom of the board. That's what I did... AT LEAST TO START!

After putting 4 or 5 coats of warmed oil on I thought to myself, self they say warm the oil and apply it until it comes through the other side of the board. Let's just see if we can make this a little faster and easier.

I took a half-sheet (a cookie sheet with half inch sides) poured two bottles of oil into it and placed it on top of another half-sheet with water in it. Onto the stove top it went. After the oil had heated in my modified double boiler for 15 minutes or so (temp at 180* per digital thermometer) I gently placed one my cutting boards into the oil top side down. Then I "cooked" the cutting board until I saw a good amount of oil coming out of the bottom 9SEE PIC BELOW). I kept the thermometer in the oil the whole time and never allowed it to go above 185*. Having never oiled a 1-1/4" thick cutting board before I don't know how long it should take, nor how much oil it should be able to hold... But the three boards I made and lubed, all around 1-1/4 x 11 x 15 took two and a half 16oz bottles.

Granted some amount of oil stayed in the paper towels during the initial 4-5 coats, and certainly a minuscule amount stayed in the original sauce pan I used to heat it. But 40oz of oil for three boards was a bit surprising.

After cooking the boards they sat on the counter for two days before I looked at them again. All three had started to bow up. Not knowing what else to do I flipped all of them over. Believe it or not they all flattened out over night, and then started to bow in the other direction through the next day. All the while they are each weeping oil all over the counter.

Obviously I over-oiled the boards to the extreme!!! but how is it that the boards can warp, flatten, then rewarp in the opposite direction. This is wood that I have had in my shop for two years, and was kiln dried when I got it. I think I answered my own question with that... TOO MUCH OIL!

Anyway, if I have it to do over again, I will still do the double boiler thing just for less time. At least that is if this group of boards ever gives up enough oil to become stable and quits warping all over the place.

What's your opinion? Oh, and here's the boards...
030.JPG

View image in gallery

Last edited:

davejones

New User
Dave
Re: Cutting boards weeping

Matt,

I too made a few end grain boards this year and did the mineral oil finish. I did not heat the oil, just poured it on and let it soak in until I saw it coming out of the opposite side. I did about 3 coats on each board, and probably used two 16oz bottles for five boards of varying sizes. I used KD lumber and I also noticed a very slight warping, but just enough to cause a slight rocking of the board. When flipped over for a day it would flatten out just as you said. The oil on mine was still seeping when we wrapped them up, so they got a layer of cling wrap before the christmas paper.

I'm no expert so I don't know if this is expected, but I am interested to hear what others have to say.

Oh yeah, the boards look great! :thumbs_up

Dave

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken

I don't know, I've never put enough oil on that it saturated all the way thru a 1.25 thick board, at least not intentionally.
On day one I apply several coats on both sides and ends, letting it soak in before the next coat. Day 2 I do the same, usually after 6-8 applications it's no longer soaking in, I wipe off the excess and stop

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Next year, take a pressure washer, and blast the oil into the boards :) I think your approach gets the job done quicker, but as you described, the weeping is likely to go on for a LONG time. My guess is a couple of weeks. One thing that might help is to add a little paraffin wax to the oil. It should help things setup quicker and reduce some of the weeping.

BTW, please use Tim the Toolman grunts when writing these kinds of posts...thank you :)

Oh, and nice looking boards!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Matt, I think that your boards are warping because the side laying against the counter is not losing oil, and the side exposed to air is.

As the oil leaves the cells, they contract and cause shrinkage.

If it were me, I would "sticker" the boards above the counter, or alternatively store them on their side with air flow to both sides.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User

Matt, I think that your boards are warping because the side laying against the counter is not losing oil, and the side exposed to air is.

As the oil leaves the cells, they contract and cause shrinkage.

If it were me, I would "sticker" the boards above the counter, or alternatively store them on their side with air flow to both sides.

+1 ... sticker them.

One day you'll laugh about the amount of mineral oil you used...maybe not today but ONE day! :gar-La; :gar-La;

They look great BTW. :icon_thum

Chuck

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User

+1 ... sticker them.

One day you'll laugh about the amount of mineral oil you used...maybe not today but ONE day! :gar-La; :gar-La;

They look great BTW. :icon_thum

Chuck

+2 to sticker them. Nice cutting boards.

Red

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

I applaud your use of extreme cutting board finishing!

Next time, you might try taking it to an amusement park and riding the tilt-a-whirl a few dozen times. Centrifugal force can be loads of fun :)

Great job!

Jim

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards

I use the Butcher block finish, sand with 400 grit, coat again and sand with 400 grit ..

no worries..

the oil finish is easy but is subject to re application neglect by the new owner.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Next time, you might try taking it to an amusement park and riding the tilt-a-whirl a few dozen times. Centrifugal force can be loads of fun :)
Maybe the boards are sad because they're being given away...so the amusement park would help with that too!

Yeah, I know. :slap: Can I get away with such a sorry joke because it's Christmas? :gar-Bi

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

I did my first spoon that way, 25 years later it still weeps oil!

I think you can cure it by baking on a rack with a catch pan under the board to keep the dripping oil from coating the bottom of the oven. I would guess about 250°F for an hour or two should extract a lot of the oil. Any hotter will scorch the wood making it dark or even blackened and may soften the glue.

Probably should test a small mockup just to be safe.

The problem with mineral oil is it never dries. I have started using organic, cold pressed flax oil. It dries very slowly, but it will dry and it is totally food safe. In fact it is used as a food suppliment.

mikeacg

New User
Mike

I like the stickering idea but where am I going to find a little forklift to use when I start moving them around the counter?

The boards look great, by the way! Do you put feet on your boards (if so, what are they made of?)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

I use the Butcher block finish, sand with 400 grit, coat again and sand with 400 grit ..

no worries..

the oil finish is easy but is subject to re application neglect by the new owner.

That's exactly what I do. :icon_thum

Hill

New User
Hill

What about sandwiching them between some panels kinda tight and mount them vertical with edge up?....might help with the extra oil draining off....maybe corner down?
just a thought

Tom Rioux

New User
Tom

I use a Beeswax and specially refined linseed combo called Looking Glass Polish. www.earthpaint.net
Mineral Oil is a petrochemical derived, non drying oil. I don't want it near my kids food. Also, saturating cellulosic fibers for extended periods of time tends to weaken them. Wood fiber doesn't like to be wet that long. Mineral Oil stays too wet too long i.m.o.

On the contrary I love the way the beeswax infuses raw wood fibers. It protects the wood leaving it bolstered, food safe and is super easy to maintain. After a while the wood is just petrified and resilient. And most importantly I'm perfectly comfortable slicing veggies for my own children on it.

Note: I am a small local Manufacturer / Formulator of Wood Finishes. I do it because I was poisoned by toxic finishes. So after 3 years on chemo and nearly dying my family and I started Earthpaint. I love wood finishing. And I love working within my community of woodworkers. It can be hard to find technical information about wood finishes, especially when related to toxicity and raw materials. If this community finds it objectionable that I comment on wood finishes here, I will bow out.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

That is the reason I changed to cold pressed organic flax oil.

You should add your info to our "Local Stores" list.

timf67

New User
Tim

I don't know, I've never put enough oil on that it saturated all the way thru a 1.25 thick board, at least not intentionally.
On day one I apply several coats on both sides and ends, letting it soak in before the next coat. Day 2 I do the same, usually after 6-8 applications it's no longer soaking in, I wipe off the excess and stop

+1 I have done several end-grain cutting boards that are about 1.5" thick. I under apply oil and then maintain the board with additional oil as needed. I usually wipe on 2-3 coats of pure mineral oil (wiping dry between coats), then I finish coat with a mineral oil beeswax blend. Haven't had weeping, warping, or any complaints from recipients...

BTW, mineral oil purchased in the drug/grocery store is pretty safe to drink which is why they sell it in the drug/grocery store...

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Just came back from my brothers place and saw the cutting board I gave them. Darn thing is delaminating. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

In short, don't over oil, and don't use the double boiler method that I "invented". Kind of feel like a heel. Guess I'll have to make them another.

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member

I use a Beeswax and specially refined linseed combo called Looking Glass Polish. www.earthpaint.net
Mineral Oil is a petrochemical derived, non drying oil. I don't want it near my kids food. Also, saturating cellulosic fibers for extended periods of time tends to weaken them. Wood fiber doesn't like to be wet that long. Mineral Oil stays too wet too long i.m.o.

On the contrary I love the way the beeswax infuses raw wood fibers. It protects the wood leaving it bolstered, food safe and is super easy to maintain. After a while the wood is just petrified and resilient. And most importantly I'm perfectly comfortable slicing veggies for my own children on it.

Note: I am a small local Manufacturer / Formulator of Wood Finishes. I do it because I was poisoned by toxic finishes. So after 3 years on chemo and nearly dying my family and I started Earthpaint. I love wood finishing. And I love working within my community of woodworkers. It can be hard to find technical information about wood finishes, especially when related to toxicity and raw materials. If this community finds it objectionable that I comment on wood finishes here, I will bow out.

That "Looking Glass Beeswax Polish" sounds interesting, I would like to see what that looks like on a bowl. :eusa_thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS