Update: I'm Back - Tool Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Well......

As you will recall, I had a Grizz G1023RLW on (back)order. I just couldn't wait and after looking at all the spec sheets and reviews here on NCWW, I decided to switch to the (in-stock) G0690. And I picked it up at UPS yesterday. Sorry, no pics yet (the Spring cleaning is still not done! :roll:) - but I did spend yesterday evening muscling it into the shop and getting it set up.

So here a few impressions:

1. Instructions were very good (by the time it arrived, I about had them memorized :gar-Bi). Setup time about 3 hours.
2. Table wings were milled perfectly, no shimming to get them dead flat with the main table.
3. Blade to miter slot and fence to miter slot were dead nuts on right out of the box.
4. Fence was dead nuts out of the box square and parallel.
5. I love being able to move the fence with one finger!
6. Nickel test - forget about it - this thing has zero vibration.
7. Even with the cheapo blade that comes with it, it cuts like a hot knife through soft butter. And even at 3 HP it's WAY quieter than the 1980's Craftsman 10" Contractor it replaced. I ripped a piece of 8/4 red oak no problem at all.
8. The HDPE faces on the fence are as straight as my capability to measure straight allows me to determine.

Features I like (so far):

- The bottom tray is sloped to the dust port.
- The opening to allow the height shaft to swing on tilt has brushes to cut down the air flow.
- The dust port is on the right-hand side
- The hand wheels are massive - going down on the blade, give it a spin and it will practically go all the way to the stop.

I still have to set the 90 and 45 stops, recheck all the alignments, tweek the miter guage bar (just a tiny bit of slop), hook up the dust collection and tweek the outfeed/assembly table height to match. Plus make new sleds, jigs & fixtures :gar-Bi. I will try to take some pictures (once the shop is somewhat presentable :BangHead:)

All in all, I couldn't be happier. I've waited a very long time to have tools of this class and I can't wait to put them to work. (Remember that China cabinet I was asking for advice on a while back? :eusa_danc)

Will update with some pictures later.

C.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Nice! :icon_thum

Congratulations on the new saw.

What are the differences between the G0690 and the G1023?

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Mark -

I wondered over that for quite some time. Here is what I have been able to discover:

- The 1023RL (new) and 1023 SL (older) are significantly different designs
- The 1023RL series apparently has a new trunnion design where the height adjustment rides straight up and down - I suppose with a jack screw type affair. Though I have never laid eyes on it, that is what I hear.
- The 0690 seems like a close cousin to the 1023SL line. The trunnion height swings on a pivot in the "classic" design style.
- The 1023RL uses a serpentine drive belt, while the 0690 uses 3 conventional V belts.
- I'm pretty sure the 1023RL has a dust collection shroud around the blade, where as the 0690 does not.

Hopefully someone who has a relatively new 1023RL will chime in and confirm my impressions. The 0690 is my very first cabinet saw, so I can really only compare with other cab saws that I have seen. I REALLY like it though!:gar-Bi

C.

Cato

New User
Bob
Chris, Congrats on your new saw.

Great that it arrived in good condition and sounds like it was about good to go out of the box.

The minor tweaks are kind of fun to me in a way and you get to learn a bit about your equipment doing it.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
OK - sorry - got side tracked by an actual roadtrip to the great state of North Carolina! :gar-Bi

Here's some pictures to satiate your insatiable appetites. MarkE - I tried to get a couple of the underside for you...

G0690_002.jpg

View image in gallery

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
I see a piece of wood on the floor.

And the rug by the door is not properly aligned to the threshold.

Pay no attention to the heap of stuff on the assembly/outfeed table! Plus you are not seeing the pile of stuff at the other end moved there to make room :wwink:

Tonight's chore is to align the assembly/outfeed table height and get the two mated up, and cut the miter guage slots in the outfeed.

You might be able to see the warp in the table skirt closest to the saw - outside edge of the tray. That decided it wanted to warp upward, so I need to plane it back down to the height of the table / saw :BangHead::BangHead:

Need to get the dust collection hooked up too.

First project will be a mahogany jewelry box for LOML for our 20th anniversary (only 13 days hence :embaresse).

C.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Nope. Didn't see any of that stuff. I was concentrating on the nice hardwood floors, and all of the DC piping going everywhere, and, oh yeah, that brand spankin' new table saw.

Congrats on the two oh. That's a big one. Make something nice.

Got one of them anniversary deals coming up myself on 6/28.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
...I was concentrating on the nice hardwood floors ...

That is utility grade Cherry from Lumber Liquidators. I picked it up for $0.85 / ft2 - of course about 20% waste, but I just kept those pieces for future shop projects :gar-Bi!

Congrats on the two oh. That's a big one. Make something nice.

Got one of them anniversary deals coming up myself on 6/28.

Congrats right back at ya! Since 20 is China, I was hoping to have the China Cabinet done (or at least started), but that ain't happenin :nah:

C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS