Upcoming season: New Yankee Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Unfortunately Norm will not be doing anything new this year. That makes two years of nothing I am interested in. I guess everything has been built already. Either that or he ran out of nails for his nail guns. :dontknow::no:

The New Yankee Workshop returns to PBS with a compilation of 26 episodes. Each program will feature a popular project from a past season with new introductions by host Norm Abram. :thumbs_do:thumbs_do

Doug

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Too bad! I guess even Norm can get burned out and want some time off. He's done many things that interested me in the past. While he may not be the most gifted woodworker in the world, he has inspired thousands of amateurs to try their hand at woodworking. For that, my hat's off to him. Besides, he looks like a genuinely nice man who loves what he does.

Ernie

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
He's inspired me to learn to talk with funny accent...

But there have been several projects that I wish I had a need for. And countless techniques.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
He's inspired me to learn to talk with funny accent...

But there have been several projects that I wish I had a need for. And countless techniques.

Ya gotta like those dovetailed "draws."

Norm started out as a talented carpenter. His early projects were fairly basic but evolved over the years as did his furniture and cabinet making skills.

I don't think you can measure the impact, but Russ Morasch and his This Old House and New Yankee Workshop with Norm and crowd have arguably been the most significant factor in the growth and success of the DIY industry (Home Depot, Lowes, DIY Network, etc.) and the non-commercial power tool industry over the last 20+ years.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Who is making new WWing shows now? David Marks wrapped up years ago, I think, and Norm doesn't have anything new. The American Homeshop (or whatever it's called) isn't too impressive and I don't think recording, and the Router Workshop is ... well, I don't know.

The only show I can think of is the Woodsmith show.

I've probably "learned" the most from Norm's show and would like to see more ... guess that's not going to happen this year.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Nahm and his measured drawrings is what really got me started into making furniture/cabinets. I had done a couple of projects, but I didn't really get into making any furniture until I saw him build a bedside table.

I will watch as many as I can as I have missed a lot of episodes over the years, but I can't blame Norm for wanting a break. He has his ideosyncracies like we all do, but it is fun to poke at him since he is on television and we are not.

I too am not real fond of American Homeshop and all of the gorilla glue. Woodworks is gone, Hammered on DIY is mediocre at best, I think Amy Deavers has left DIY so no more Freeform furniture, and I am tired of a lot of the DIY shows on DIY. I guess the WW shows are on the way out.

As for Russell Morash, at least for a long while and it still may be, This Old House was the most watched show on PBS nationally.

Notorious T.O.D.

New User
Todd
Norm said in a magazine article about 4 years ago that he was 56 and wanted to be in charge of his own life by age 60. Even though he has taken his share of ribbing about he tool belt and such over the years he has been a very positive force for the good of woodworking IMHO. I kind of thought the ultimate project of the kitchen was probably going to be his last season of new projects. I am often somewhat surprised that Norm did it this long to be truthful. I think he has reached 60 and will let the existing shows be his legacy and full measure of his work....well done Norm.

There is an interview with David Marks on thewoodwhisperer.com where he tells how much work it was for him to do I think 90 some shows...and he said that he didn't even built many of the projects but farmed them out to others to build. So, he did this for a while but seems to want to now do his own thing and teach which is where so many talented woodworkers seem to end up to make a decent living and have some time to call their own.

I would like to see Lonnie Bird do a show but I don't expect it to ever happen.

Best,
Todd

Woodchuck

New User
Chuck
Sorry to hear that. I taped every one of his shows for years when it was on Sunday morning then the local station changed the scheduling and I lost track. Maybe Norm could not find any more suppliers to provide him with "new toys" or maybe he's just got everything and could not fined any more. Either way, I always enjoyed the program and just wished I had a shop any where close to the one he had.

Chuck

fivestring

New User
Gary
Unfortunately Norm will not be doing anything new this year. That makes two years of nothing I am interested in. I guess everything has been built already. Either that or he ran out of nails for his nail guns. :dontknow::no:

The New Yankee Workshop returns to PBS with a compilation of 26 episodes. Each program will feature a popular project from a past season with new introductions by host Norm Abram. :thumbs_do:thumbs_do

Doug
Norm is sooooooo yesterday :rotflm:

Kdub

New User
Kurt
i wish pbs would show the woodwrights shop as much as the new yankee's shop. i enjoy watching roy work and use hand tools, not that i'm a hand tool purist, but i enjoy watching some one else. if i was a good tool sharpener perhaps i would be more inclined.
kurt

woodylarry

New User
Larry
I use a version of his router table built from his plans that has served me well for many years. I have enjoyed the show for what it is, a commercial endeavor that as has been stated got many a homeowner intersted in our hobby. While he may not be the best woodworker in the world he has shown great skill in presenting it in an appealling way.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I have every program he has ever done on DVD except this past year and I will have that one soon. It is amazing to view some of the earlier ones and compare them with the programs of recent years. His skill level as well as his tools have shown a marked improvement. As has been said, he has really been responsible for bringing many people into the woodworkers family (me included). I still enjoy watching him, although the kitchen cabinet series this year didn't excite me very much. I will really hate to see him hang up the toolbelt for the final time but certainly believe he has earned the right to retire at a relatively young age and enjoy the next stage of his life while he is healthy. It wouldn't surprise me if that the upcoming season is his last one. They produced 13 programs per year for 20 years so I guess I have 260 programs on DVD so I suppose I'll always be able to get a New Yankee Workshop fix if I need one. :thumbs_up

J

jeff...

Norm is the only guy I know next to DaveO that can build anything in 1/2 hour well maybe FredP

SSuther

New User
Stan
Sorry to hear that Norm may no longer do new projects. I've watched him for years and enjoyed many of his projects even though I prefer watching Roy do his thing. My favorite shows were those where he visited a museum or antique dealer and measured and reproduced interesting pieces. It was a bit unsettling to see how he would use all the power tools to produce something that originally came from an all handtool shop, but some of his techniques of translating that work into power tool methods were interesting since I do use power tools for the heavy prep work. Now, I want to retire someday, too, so I understand his choice. I'll really cry when Roy hangs it up. Been watching him for most of his years on TV, and he's really the one who fired me up on woodworking and learning how to use hand tools. I think the availability of woodworking info on the Internet now versus when they started is really changing the way people get into woodworking and leaning the fine points.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have every program he has ever done on DVD except this past year and I will have that one soon. It is amazing to view some of the earlier ones and compare them with the programs of recent years. His skill level as well as his tools have shown a marked improvement. As has been said, he has really been responsible for bringing many people into the woodworkers family (me included). I still enjoy watching him, although the kitchen cabinet series this year didn't excite me very much. I will really hate to see him hang up the toolbelt for the final time but certainly believe he has earned the right to retire at a relatively young age and enjoy the next stage of his life while he is healthy. It wouldn't surprise me if that the upcoming season is his last one. They produced 13 programs per year for 20 years so I guess I have 260 programs on DVD so I suppose I'll always be able to get a New Yankee Workshop fix if I need one. :thumbs_up

I didn't realize it has been on for 20 YEARS. I am getting old.....:cry_smile I remember the first episode and his introduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors