upcoming purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
Sorry for not being online much lately. I've been rather busy with the job and with trying to keep up with the yard and garden. I'm about to embark on getting some tools and would appreciate advice/suggestions/recommendations, etc. Looking to buy a table saw, not big industrial size but rather something that I can pick up and tote around. I had a Delta a few years back and it served the need well albeit some of its parts were rather fragile. Also planning on getting either a band saw or scroll saw, same requirements, gotta be portable. Next on the list is a good router that will be used for many tasks including but not limited to setting up in a sled I intend to build to use for leveling off my logs and stumps for my tables. Then, I'm thinking about a jointer so's I can play around with some of the smaller pieces that I hafta' cut off'n the stumps and logs. Any input welcomed.

While we're on the subject, I've got a few slabs of oak and ambrosia maple that I'm making into table tops. They need surfacing to give me a flat surface to finish. I can do it with the belt sander and a level but it's a very time consuming and painstaking process to say the least. If anyone knows of someone with the equipment to handle stock up to 48" X 36" I'd appreciate a heads up, especially if said individual/business doesn't want to finance their next home out of my pocket.

Thanks for giving this a read and thanks in advance for anyone's help here.:XXcompute

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
David by portable are you looking for something that one person can pick up and carry or do you mean on wheels so you can move it around the shop?

Dragon

New User
David
David by portable are you looking for something that one person can pick up and carry or do you mean on wheels so you can move it around the shop?

Something I can pick up and carry. My "shop" as it is, consists of the great outdoors and an 8X8 porch. Very Neanderthal at present but it's what I got to work with and so far things are moving right along. I am planning on building a dedicated shop but that's a few months off yet.

fergy

New User
Fergy
I'm very happy with my Bosch tablesaw. It has the tilt-up stand, which works quite well.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Take a look at my small bandsaw:

The brand isn't that important. Notice how it is mounted on a board and has an extra support added. It vibrates much less than any other small bandsaw I have used.

What are you going to cut? That light duty scroll saw and sander I have for sale is about as portable as it gets, but only uses pinned blades and isn't good for much over 1/2" unless it is softwood. If you think it might be useful you can have it for nothing (I am such a skilled negotiater :) ) if you arrange the ponies.

lottathought

New User
Michael
For a tablesaw like what you are looking for, Bosch is highly rated.
Not mine but I saw this ad on the Raleigh CL.
Here it is.

Bosch 4000 10" Table Saw - $250 (Zebulon)

Reply to: sale-krfeq-1247306992@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-06-30, 3:02PM EDT

Bosch 4000 10" Contractors Portable Table saw on easy fold stand. Saw needs reattached to stand but it still works great 250 obo Call Scott 919-426-7765

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1247306992

Copyright © 2009 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

CarvedTones

Andy
Also, take a look at these jigs:

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2009/0...ig-plans-crosscut-jigs-ripping-jigs-and-more/

I went without a tablesaw for a while using the Tool Trolley (which I recently sold) with my circy saw and router. I now use an old Craftsman bench top that I would hesitate to recommend for your use. It is not light, but it is quiet and high precision and was cheap. I had a Ryobi benchtop screamer for a while. It worked OK, but the motor needs to be cut off between cuts (or at least every now and then) so it won't burn up and you can't hear anything while it is on, whether you are cutting or not and the only thing it had over the jigs was convenience, not precision.

happypowpow

New User
Bruce
For a tablesaw like what you are looking for, Bosch is highly rated.
Not mine but I saw this ad on the Raleigh CL.
Here it is.

Bosch 4000 10" Table Saw - $250 (Zebulon)

Reply to: sale-krfeq-1247306992@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-06-30, 3:02PM EDT

Bosch 4000 10" Contractors Portable Table saw on easy fold stand. Saw needs reattached to stand but it still works great 250 obo Call Scott 919-426-7765

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1247306992

Copyright © 2009 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

If you want to make your own stand...
Bosch 4100 Table Saw without stand

Once in a while ebay has refurbished (reconditioned they call) 4100 $368 with free shipping by CPO. And Amazon had the stand for $120 before.

Dragon

New User
David
Thanks for all the input and thanks for the offer of the freebie band saw. Unfortunately, I need a band saw that can handle something a bit larger than what you recommended. Hopefully I'll be picking up some new tooling pretty soon and I'll post some pics.

Looking around on the web I see there's a pretty large variance in prices and I hate ordering anything off the web regardless of who the vendor is. Would much rather go eyeball it and make a decision from there. Might have to hit up the mgr. at my local Lowe's store and see if I can do some economic arm twisting to get a break on a large purchase.

CarvedTones

Andy
David,

I didn't and don't recommend it, but offered the scroll saw I have in the classifieds (not the bandsaw in the post) since you said you were considering getting a scroll saw or bandsaw that you could carry around. That's a tough requirement. The bandsaw I showed is a 9" that is pretty much the same as most of the similar looking ones. They cut about 3.5" max and can't keep a lot of pressure on a blade. I have heard good things about the Rikon 10".

Dragon

New User
David
Sorry 'bout that Andy. Too much going through my head lately. Anyway...........

Went to Lowe's today and picked out 9 items on my wish list. Came up to a bit over $1500.00 so I hunted up the manager to ask about getting a bit of a discount on a large purchase. He called one of the guys in contractor sales and told him he was sending me down and to work me up a quote. Long story short, Lowe's is going to offer me a 5% discount. Now I don't want to come across as ungrateful here but considering the current economy and here's a guy looking to drop $1500 in your cash box, I'd go a little better than 5%. Maybe I'm totally off base in my thinking but I'm going to check with a few more retailers before I spend my hard earned cash. I could have simply lied and said I was former military and gotten an instant 10% off anything I wanted but that goes against my grain. Our military folks deserve a whole lot more than they get in rewards as it is.

CarvedTones

Andy
It does seem like they could do better. They are doing the $10 off $50 and giving vets the 10% so it seems like the manager would offer better.

I am not sure I am clear on what you are after. I was reading a lot into your answer about needing to pick up and carry the tablesaw, figuring you meant everything needed to be something you could carry. And when someone says they need a scroll saw or bandsaw like they are interchangable, I infer light duty cutting. And going out on a porch spells trouble for a lot of rolling stand tools because of threshholds and potentially narrow (compared to a tool stand) doorways.

This is the pot calling the kettle black; I am not the king of clarity. :)

Dragon

New User
David
Andy I think the most popular nomenclature seems to be "job site" in reference to the type table saw and other power tools I'm considering. Yeah, my "shop" currently consists of my front porch and selected areas of the yard where I happen to have a few logs and such stacked. I get a kick out of reading some of the neanderthal woodworking posts on here. Ya wanna see neanderthal...:roll:...stop by my place when I happen to be working on something. I'm willing to bet I'm probably the least financially affluent member here but I still manage to turn out some pretty decent work.

I'd love to have a fully outfitted shop to work in but that just ain't gonna happen anytime soon so I make do with what I've got to work with. Anyway, I'm still looking for the most bang for my buck:eusa_thin so I'll hit Home Depot, Harbor Freight, and maybe a pawn shop or two before I make any final decisions. Thanks for all the input and help here.:eek:ccasion1

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Sorry 'bout that Andy. Too much going through my head lately. Anyway...........

Went to Lowe's today and picked out 9 items on my wish list. Came up to a bit over $1500.00 so I hunted up the manager to ask about getting a bit of a discount on a large purchase. He called one of the guys in contractor sales and told him he was sending me down and to work me up a quote. Long story short, Lowe's is going to offer me a 5% discount. <snip>
David..it seems to me that $1500 isn't a very big purchase for a Lowes store, especially if they happened to be low-margin items.

Anyways, the real point of my post: check your local post-office for the 'Movers Pack'. You should find a 10% off Lowes coupon in there.

-Mark

Dragon

New User
David
David..it seems to me that $1500 isn't a very big purchase for a Lowes store, especially if they happened to be low-margin items.

Anyways, the real point of my post: check your local post-office for the 'Movers Pack'. You should find a 10% off Lowes coupon in there.

-Mark
Yeah, guess you're right. Not enough $$$ to get their attention. Guess I'll do some more looking maybe in the Iwanna and/or CL and see if an individual could use some bucks. Maybe my frustration levels are at an all-time high right now too. Between dealing with an impossible boss and the utter stupidity of govt. employees totally FUBAR'ing my child support case, my patience and understanding levels are waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy low at the present. Anyway, thanks for the input and the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors