upcoming carving class info

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
Sorry it has taken so long, my little shop accident left me out of the shop last week.

The tool list is as follows:

# 3 or #5 gouge = 5, 6 or 8mm if Pfiel tool 1/4" to 3/8 if a Flexcut tool

#12 = 3 to 4mm if Pfiel tool 60 degree parting tool 3/16" to 3/8" Flexcut

3/8" to 5/8" flat chisel can be any brand, even from the Depot or Lowes

MAKE SURE ALL TOOLS HAVE LONG HANDLES...NO PALM TOOLS

These size ranges are given in case a size is unavailable.

I will be posting the patterns by the end of the week.

Stave

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Do you consider this size (click) to be long handled?

I think I have a Sorby in the size range of 3-6 but it might be wider than 3/8" and a few flat chisels, but the Vs I have and use are palm tools.

Any preference on bevel angle to put on the flat chisel?

stave

New User
stave
As for the length of the tool...if you can use it while holding it with two hands then I would consider it long handled. Some of the tool manufacturers make an intermediate sized tool which is between the palm tools and the full length professional tool...those are fine also.
The long handles are more for control and speed and for use on large projects.

My tools have rather long bevels, somewhere in the range of 20 to 25 degrees. I will check my bevels today with a gauge for a more precise degree.

Stave

CarvedTones

Andy
As for the length of the tool...if you can use it while holding it with two hands then I would consider it long handled.

The moderators would be all over me if I posted the first thing that came to mind when I read that. :rotflm: :eusa_naug

Oddly enough, I generally use two hands with palm sized tools, preferring the barrel shaped ones to the bulbs. I will bring intermediate or full size tools to class though.

CarvedTones

Andy
Well, if being 52 going on 15 is made a crime, they are going to need a lot more jails... :)

stave

New User
stave
Andy,
I checked a variety of chisels and gouges today (took awhile to find my bevel gauge) and it seems the majority of my tools are between 15 and 25 degrees. Most all my chisels are about 20 degrees and my gouges vary more.
Hope that helps.

Stave

M

McRabbet

I'd like to pass along special thanks to Stave for his excellent presentation yesterday at the July meeting of the Western NC Woodworkers Association. I suspect that several of our members there will want to take his class -- I know I will because carving is a skill I'd like to acquire. I just took advantage of the Lee Valley Tools free shipping (all orders over $40 until July 11th) and bought three nice Hirsch carving tools (a 12 mm straight chisel; a 6 mm #5 straight gouge and a 6mm 60* parting tool) so I'll be properly equipped! I'm looking forward to the opportunity!

CarvedTones

Andy
I think I got the small gouge taken care of:

Vintage 5.5mm English #4 Wood Carving Gouge
4gouge.jpg

It is going to need some polishing, sharpening and honing but should serve me well.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
So far the class looks like this:

Clemmons

B4man

CarvedTones

ScottM

richlife

Mike Davis

my chisels are on the way and I hope everyone is ready.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'll leave it to Stave and Bill to determine if there is room for one more.

If so, McRabbet would be next in line.

stave

New User
stave
Here are two of the carving patterns for the upcoming class. The material is basswood and they measure approximately 7"w x 22"h.

The method here is to be able to complete a relief carving in 5 hours and use only three tools to do so. I am trying to make the classes affordable, the patterns complex enough to learn many techniques in a small area and to show the complexity of work that can be done with minimal tools.
If the time and tools were available the background could be removed to create a traditional relief carving. The process for carving these designs is the same as ordinary relief carving.

Patterns for transfer onto the panels will be brought to the class for you to choose from. These finished panels will also be available for reference and study during the class.

Stave

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I bought the Hirsch carving tools that Rob suggested and they arrived today. They look very good to me, German made and very precise.

stave

New User
stave
Mike,
Hirsch makes some nice tools, you will enjoy using them and they should last a lifetime.

Stave

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am a real newbie here. Some time back I did pick up a few Two Cherries Chisels on eBay. I think I have what I need but I am not sure how to read the size/model code. The V tool is a 3239-06. The gouge is a 3208-08 and the flat tool is a 3201-08. Can anyone help me translate?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
3239-06 I assume 32 means straight shank Straight Shank 75 deg V Tool #39 is 75° 06 is 6mm

3208-08 straight #8 sweep 8 mm wide this is a lot more curved than the #5 Mark recommended

3201-08 Straight #01 is flat 8mm wide

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
We have one opening left for the carving class if anyone wants to join.

There is an additional material fee of $6 that we expected but did not know the exact figure until now. This is to cover the basswood and pattern that will be provided.

stave

New User
stave
Mike, I believe you got the tool description down. Those tool numbers are based on the Sheffield Tool patterns, Pfiel numbers theirs differently.
Here is the third carving pattern.

I will be posting all the final info next week to make sure everyone has what they need and to make sure I have covered all the bases....hate to forget something.

Stave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS