Unusual Source for Sheet Goods

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Don't laugh when I tell you where I got some of the nicest stuff for making shop jigs, auxillary fences, etc.

A friend of mine who remodels office buildings got tired of my asking him to get me some good plywood from some of his jobs to make jigs in my shop. One day he dropped off a couple of laminate-wrapped urinal dividers in the back of my truck. I though it was a joke until he told me to cut the laminate off of one edge. I thought that I would find OSB or MDF. What I found was 7 plies of wood and 2 plies of laminate for a total of 7/8 inches of very flat and stable material. A couple of shots of Windex and its point of origin is forgotten, and I do have some nice stuff for making jigs.

I will be on the lookout for thrownout latrine dividers from now on.

Sully

New User
jay
The danger is that someone may say your jig looks like crap, in which case you have no defense. :lol:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Several months ago, I posted about using the phenolic toilet partitions for jigs, etc. But the thing that stiil to this day (41 years later) that causes me some concern is that in 1966 Reynolds Col. on the NC State campus was remodeled. A candy company from Conn. bought all the marble toilet partitions. When I see "marble slab fudge" I think more than once about buying any. I guess they just steamed the p--- out of them.

T

toolferone

I guess I can see #1 or #2 reasons why it is good material to use!
(okay okay, but I am trying LOL)

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Now there is not reason for you stalling some projects. No doubt you're flushed with pride at your find. If the jigs are not to your liking, at least your money isn't down the drain. Take the plunge(r) and post pics of the new jigs.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Several months ago, I posted about using the phenolic toilet partitions for jigs, etc. But the thing that stiil to this day (41 years later) that causes me some concern is that in 1966 Reynolds Col. on the NC State campus was remodeled. A candy company from Conn. bought all the marble toilet partitions. When I see "marble slab fudge" I think more than once about buying any. I guess they just steamed the p--- out of them.

:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

MikeH

New User
Mike
This thread is good for more than a few laughs and puns. Thanks for making me smile this morning as I sit at work.

:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

rick7938

New User
Rick
No toilet will ever be safe from the "Laminate Banditos." So if you find your office building has been looted for the bathroom stalls, you can be confident that they are being reborn as router table tops and table saw fences.

Thanks for the feedback. It was fun for a few laughs.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
The stuff is really good to work with but it does tend to yellow with age. Regular cleaners work on it ok, but the dust can be a real pi$$er. I've found that it's best to flush it all away when you're done otherwise it builds up, starts to overflow and looks like crap. Be sure things are properly seated before you cut it; this prevents blowout.

benzor

New User
becky
You guys are really funny. I'm so glad I'm a guirll !!! There are some things I won't recycle, and don't forget buyer (free goods too) beware.

I'm still laughing :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

MikeH

New User
Mike
The stuff is really good to work with but it does tend to yellow with age. Regular cleaners work on it ok, but the dust can be a real pi$$er. I've found that it's best to flush it all away when you're done otherwise it builds up, starts to overflow and looks like crap. Be sure things are properly seated before you cut it; this prevents blowout.

:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS