Unisaw Vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I.m getting vibration in my Unisaw. Changed belts about two months ago. The middle belt has some slop. What is happening. The machine is only 5 years old. Do I need ne belts again or perhaps it is not running enough? help?

Jeff

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
does it smooth out after running a while? if it's just the belts taking set it should smooth out. you should not need new belts every few years as a hobby saw. Mine is a 1948 and untill I bought it they were using the original belts! that was their story anyhow. they were shot but still worked. try a different blade. possibly its out of balance. I do not recomend link belts on a unisaw.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I think you are right Fred. I think I will let it run for a hour and set the belts. When I was in production these things ran 8 hours at a time and I never changed belts. I think they have developed a set.

Jeff

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Jeff,

Here's a website with FAQs for Unisaws...you might find an answer there.

http://www.sawcenter.com/unisaw_faq.htm

I have a Unisaw that's about 15yrs old (I'm the original owner) and the belts I have on it are the originals and they are working fine. I had the whole saw apart last year and they looked so good I didn't bother to replace.

Dan C.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I think you are right Fred. I think I will let it run for a hour and set the belts. When I was in production these things ran 8 hours at a time and I never changed belts. I think they have developed a set.

Jeff

If I recall OWWM info after changing belts you should retention them after several hours of use. after you run it a while and its warmed up retention the belts. should help with the vibration issue. the belts will stretch some untill they are broken in. you may need to do it again in a month or two also.:icon_thum

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
does it smooth out after running a while? if it's just the belts taking set it should smooth out. you should not need new belts every few years as a hobby saw. Mine is a 1948 and untill I bought it they were using the original belts! that was their story anyhow. they were shot but still worked. try a different blade. possibly its out of balance. I do not recomend link belts on a unisaw.

Care to give us some insight as to why?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Care to give us some insight as to why?

because it's a 3 belt drive and they should be matched belts. link belts tend to stretch differently than V-belts and others that have done this have said the vibration was worse. link belts work great on a single pulley system. :wink_smil

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
because it's a 3 belt drive and they should be matched belts. link belts tend to stretch differently than V-belts and others that have done this have said the vibration was worse. link belts work great on a single pulley system. :wink_smil

Thank you for the info, Fred! You probably saved some of us some money!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Thank you for the info, Fred! You probably saved some of us some money!

your welcome.:gar-Bi I did a lot of research when I rebuilt my uni and this was one of those things that I considered until I read a lot of reviews. unfortunately it didnt save a lot of money though. a matched set is about the same price as 5 or 6 feet of linkbelt [or at least it was a couple years ago] I plan on changing my single pulley tools to linkbelts when the belts wear out.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS