Unisaw upgrade underway w/*PICS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
In addition to working on the assembly table I started the rework of my Unisaw mobile base and tables. After removing the Unifence rail, the extension table, and stock mobile base, I fabricated wheels and feet for my new mobile base. Here is the saw stripped of its extension tables, fence rail, and mobile and original Delta mobile base:

P5060064.JPG

Here is the saw showing the new cabinet wheels and leveler foot that have been attached directly to the cabinet subbase:

TS-5.jpg
P5080008.JPG

The wheel assembly is comprised of a Hartville Tool ball bearing wheel (great wheels at a great price) that has been removed from the stock mounting bracket and remounted in a 4" section of 2" X 4" rectangular steel tubing which is bolted to the saw sub-base with two bolts, one is the axle (same size as original axle). The steel tube protects the wheels and also supports the end of axle bolt. I have used this type of mobile base (along with a Delta style step caster from Rockler) on all my other tools also.

36982.JPEG

Here is the Hartville Tool wheel and the unpainted rectangular steel tube.

TS-5a.jpg
P5070066.JPG

The leveling foot is made from a short section of 2" X 2" steel angle also bolted to the sub-base. I used a tap to thread the bracket for the leveler bolt.

TS-6.jpg
P5080009.JPG

I used hardware store elevator bolt for the leveler and used a plastic caster cup to keep the steel from sitting directly on the floor and possibly making rust rings. The plastic cup is held in place with some double stick tape.

TS-7.jpg
P5080007.JPG

Next up- fabricate the extension table steel rails, legs, and add a step caster. Then make a new extension table and remount the aluminum fence rail. And finally, build an outfeed table (never had one)- Link.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Alan,

Nice and stout. You mentioned a step castor, I assume this is for lifting the front of the saw base. My Yorkcraft planer has one on the front and it works great. Where did you get the elevator bolts? I have a drum / flap sander and want to put some levelers on it so it doesn't creep when I use it. How long can you get those bolts?

Mike

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
mshel said:
Alan,

Nice and stout. You mentioned a step castor, I assume this is for lifting the front of the saw base. My Yorkcraft planer has one on the front and it works great. Where did you get the elevator bolts? I have a drum / flap sander and want to put some levelers on it so it doesn't creep when I use it. How long can you get those bolts?

Mike
The step caster will actually lift the right side of the saw base, like the Delta mobile base. Unlike the Delta, however, which has the step caster midway between the saw base and the right side of the extension table (making this space unusable for a rolling cabinet), I am going to mount the step caster to new, reinforced, extension table legs at the right end. The legs will be attached to heavy duty table rails.

I got the "elevator bolts" at Lowes, in the nuts and bolts cabinets. They come in various sizes but the ones I bought had 2" X 3/8"- 16 bolt and a 1 1/4" round bottom.

Last edited:

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
wapitiscat said:
Looks great! How much of the wheel protrudes from the housing?

Todd
I mounted the wheel so it would extend down below the housing and the subbase by 1/2"- it could have been less. On my DJ-20 I mounted the wheel so it would extend down 3/4"- I needed to elevate the base a little for operation of the step caster which was also mounted under the edge of the subbase. I am using 3" wheels. Depending on whether you use a 3" or 4" wheel you can have it extend just a smidge or as much as 2 1/2 - 3 1/2"- on the Delta, the subbase turns under creating a lip on the inside - you need to leave room for a washer and nut.

KC7CN

New User
Don
Looks good Alan! I like the modified caster too! Good solution for a low-profile stand.

-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS