Unisaw rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

childe

New User
Chris
Just a few shots of the progression of my rebuild project, I also put a few more pics in my gallery. I am waiting for some parts to put the bearings back in it. I'm hoping to get a motor and belts before or around Christmas.

Chris camera 1 144.jpg

camera 1 161.jpg

camera 1 162.jpg

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
lookin good. :icon_thum where did you get the parts? delta doesnt seem to be a lotta help lately.:cry: want to paint mine when ya git done?:rolf:

fred

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Chris,
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
I've been wondering how you,ve been doing on the saw. Man, it was a basket case when you started. The base is looking great, I hope the top is turning out just as good.

Keep up the good work.

Jimmy:)

mburke911

New User
Mark
That looks great! How did you get rid of the rust? Did you grind or blast it off? Did you have to patch any of it before priming and painting?

Mark

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, that Unisaurus is really coming back to life. What a transformation :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
That is a nice looking machine. I am planning doing the same for a Rockwell table saw. Could you please share a few tips on how you prepared and painted the saw carbinet?

Thanks.

childe

New User
Chris
I did all the work with a couple of different power sanders; a small pneumatic rotary sander, a palm sander, and a little wire wheel that attached to my hand drill. The little wire wheel worked great on the worm gears.Someone in here told me to take the saw apart, because it would give me a better appreciation for it, and they were right. Seeing that it was all apart I decided to clean up and paint everything. The new Bies will finish it off great. I bought a couple of parts from The Sawcenter online for the arbor, that I am still waiting for, but other than that I have made no major purchases yet. I am probably going to order a 230V, 3 HP motor from Grizzly for $269.00, and I'll also get the switch, motor pulley, and belts from them, so in the end my saw will be a little bit of a cross breed.The prices were just better. Right now I'm using a late 60's 1.5 HP Crafsman that my father-in-law let me use. I really can't rip anything significant with this saw without slowing down or stopping the blade, so I'm going to really enjoy this saw. My thanks to everyone in for all of the helpful information and encouragement.

Chris

childe

New User
Chris
Hey Travis! This may be a stupid question, but do you mean E-bay, or is there really a flea-bay, as in flea market?, The mount would be one of the only tuff parts to find, because it has to have a table saw mounting bracket on it.

Chris

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I would definitely save a few more coins and buy an American Made motor from Woodworkers Supply. Three HP is now $320.69. There is a guy who modifies machine for the Amish, who shun electricity. He sells new take off motors. Do a search on a couple of WW sites and see if you can raise him. However freight could be deal breaker.A couple years back, from the junk yard, I got a Grizzly motor that has same mounting brackets as Uni motor. Took it apart to see what it needed. The word CHEAP immediately came to mind. Didn't even bother to take to motor shop. Returned it to junkyard for a loss. Paid $0.15 per pound, got $0.03 per pound back. Ps, do you still have three phase motor. You could carefully cut brackets off and weld to another NEMA 56 frame motor. Only hassle is that the shaft will most likely be 5/8", rather 7/8". Remember with todays improved belts you don't have to have three belts. One would do, but I would use two.

childe

New User
Chris
Thanks for the info Bruce! I'll definitely take this into consideration. The Sawcenter sells an original Delta motor for this saw for 399.00. I'm starting to wonder if it would be worth my while in the long run to just buy the Delta motor.

Chris

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Thanks for the info Bruce! I'll definitely take this into consideration. The Sawcenter sells an original Delta motor for this saw for 399.00. I'm starting to wonder if it would be worth my while in the long run to just buy the Delta motor.

Chris

the baldor from WWsupply is what i got. grizz scares the bejesus outta me. got belts and pulley from the saw center would be. if your gonna do it you may as well do it right!:slap: keep the saw as original as you can. there is a reason there are still thousands of these old unisaw in service. its money well spent

fred

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
LOL, yep Flea bay equals Ebay.

The Delta motor is most likely a chinese made motor now a days. Personally, I would keep my eyes open for a Leesson or a Baldor, both quality motors IMO. You might check their respective web sites to see what kind of price you can get direct.

mburke911

New User
Mark
on Ebay:

Delta (Leeson)

2hp buy it now $324
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150163009084&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

3 Hp Buy it now $413
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150163009086&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

4hp Buy it now $432

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150163009082&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

I have been keeping my eye out to possibly upgrade my saw's motor. You could also email these guys... they say that they sell machines to the Amish (who don't want the motors). They discount the machine and remove the motor and switches. Worth a try

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-HP-MOTOR-FROM...4445276QQihZ017QQcategoryZ26226QQcmdZViewItem

Mark

childe

New User
Chris
Never heard of leeson. Is it a good motor? Price puts it at about the same as another delta motor from The Saw Center.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS