Unisaw Cabinet & tool gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Well I finally got around to building an under table cabinet for my Unisaw. There were a number of new toys I wanted to test drive so I figured the cabinet for the shop would be perfect.

The things I've tested on this cabinet are:
  • Drawer joint bit from Woodline (part of an ogee cabinet door set),
  • Edge banding bit set from MLCS,
  • Osborne EB-3 Miter Guage and
  • Poplar Ply from Home depot.
The drawer joint router bit was fairly easy to setup and the joints were tight and I used this joint for the cabinet carcass as well as the two drawers. I also used the full extesion drawer slides (Accuride) rated at 100lbs (these were a little tricky for me...I had to shim one side, behind the slide, on each drawer as I made the drawers about 1/16 of an inch too small).

The drawer faces were edge banded with the MLCS bit set and boy they were tight. I'm glad I test drove them on a shop cabinet. The fit is so tight that when I put the glue on them it was like a vacum...very hard to reposition once the glue sucked the edge piece in. Next time I think a second pass on the edge piece with a 32nd shim would be just right.

Lastly a comment on the Poplar Ply from HD. The plywood was priced at $29/sheet 18MM X 4'x8'. There were about 11 plys not counting the face veneers and very minimal voids. The plywood is fairly easy to work with and milled well with both the drawer joint bit and the edge banding bit. I plan to use it for a couple of additional cabinets I'm building for the shop. I'm not sure I'd use it in a furniture project as a primary woood but would most definately use it as a secondary carcass shell. I've not tried staining as I plan to just put a coat of poly on the shop cabinets.

Lastly a couple of pics of the 1 3/4 HP Pancake compressor I picked at HF with the 30% off Coupon that was posted and the Osborne miter guage that worked great fro the cabinet project.

Attachments

• Unisaw cabinet-1.jpg
    Unisaw cabinet-1.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Unisaw Cabinet-2.jpg
    Unisaw Cabinet-2.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Unisaw Cabinet-3.jpg
    Unisaw Cabinet-3.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 151
  • HF 1.75 HP Pancake.jpg
    HF 1.75 HP Pancake.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 146
  • Osborner Miter .jpg
    Osborner Miter .jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 147

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dan, I've been studying the photos for several minutes and drooling over your shop. Nice work on the cabinet. I would love to see more pics of the rest of the shop. The wood floor, layout, and cleaniness of the shop is fantastic :icon_thum

Roger

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
Glad to see the loot I saw you with has been unpacked and used. Mine is still in the box as the only time I've gotten to the shop was to glue up some mallets to turn if I ever get shop time again. See you saturday at the WNC meeting.:jealous::jealous::jealous:

tonyps

New User
Tony
Afternoon Dan,
Nice job indeed!! I am paticularly interested in your part on the Edge Banding bits, MLCS. I have been thinking of getting a set of these, so it is nice to hear you are so pleased with them. Did you get them directly from MLCS? 1/2 shank?

Thanks, best to all.

Tony ...

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Tony,

I did get the edge banding set. 1/2" shank, from MLCS directly and I bought the one with the tenon vs the triangle. Given what I now know, how well the tenon fits, I would consider the triangle in that it would be easier to reposition once glueed and then trim the excess...just a thought.

Dan C.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The things I've tested on this cabinet are:
  • Drawer joint bit from Woodline (part of an ogee cabinet door set),
  • Edge banding bit set from MLCS,
  • Osborne EB-3 Miter Guage and
  • Poplar Ply from Home depot.
Lastly a couple of pics of the 1 3/4 HP Pancake compressor I picked at HF with the 30% off Coupon that was posted and the Osborne miter guage that worked great fro the cabinet project.

Yeah, I'd say that qualifies for a big You Suck!!
Go:lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS